Why we crave digital distractions?
Unlike real life that can be boring and monotonous, on the internet, even if you want nothing, you can always get something. When we are bored, lonely and feel like we’re unable to make a dent in the world like we want to, we seek to distract ourselves with the enjoyment and fun the virtual world promises.
Wired to Connect:
What separates humans from animals is our desire to belong, our desire to matter and to make an impact in the world. We do that by connecting, by communicating and showcasing the unique gifts we have to offer.
Add technology which has connectivity in its DNA and we are immediately intrigued. The promise of its potential to spread our message and share our ideas is vast. And that’s how we begin our relationship with technology.
The lure of social network is in our primal longing for connection. Social media exploits the basic instinct of human beings to belong, to matter and to leave a legacy.
How Big Tech is engineering addiction:
While making our world to smaller by connecting us and enabling humanity by increasing our productivity, efficiency and awareness through information, technology and social media do a lot of good. But, what is not public information is that Big Tech is creating devices, apps and platforms that are becoming ubiquitous in our lives and pervading our day to day existence. Here’s how they are engineering addiction by hiring attention engineers, neuroscientists and social psychologists to manipulate, persuade and capitalize on our eye balls and our attention to increase their bottom line.
Rapid feedback, the unpredictability of responses and notifications makes Tech very hard to resist. Where else would us get badges of pride for maintaining our daily streaks other than on Snapchat? Where else but on our smart phone can we find something even we don’t have anything to search for?
Like sky miles and royalty memberships of airlines and hotels, smart phones have figured out a way for us to keep showing up to our devices and showing our solidarity to them 24/7.
‘I think we have created tools that are ripping apart the social fabric of how society works. The short-term, dopamine-driven feedback loops we’ve created are destroying how society works. No civil discourse, no cooperation; misinformation, mis-truth. And it’s not an American problem — this is not about Russians ads. This is a global problem.’
~ Chamath Palihapitiya, Former VP of Facebook
How Social Media Addiction works:
- It feels empowering and participatory.
- It feels like it enhances our expression of individuality.
- While TV makes us inert, social media makes us form our own opinions.
- It lets us speak our mind via opining on our (Facebook) walls and our Instagram and Snapchat stories.
- We can signal goods to show our standing in society. Just look at Kylie Jenner’s Instagram feed if you want to know what I mean.
- It meets the unsatisfying need of the endless scroll, unlike books that have a last page. Its designed to be addictive in the same way Netflix and YouTube have autoplay functionality in them. And how Snapchats have streaks to make people keep posting stories daily to maintain their streak.
- Young adults post sexually arousing selfies, making them part of the thirst trap excitement.
How Gaming Addiction works:
The League of Legends is a game that is labeled as the Electronic heroine of China because of the way its played in a compulsive manner in video game cafes around the country. Teenagers in America are spending 11.3 hours per week on video games.
Good social games teach strategies like cooperation, concept building and helping to clean and saving cities in large universes.
But, sustained violent video gaming of games, like Team Deathmatch in Call of Duty: Black Ops, leads to decreased sensitivity, increased aggressive behavior and worst of all moral disengagement with society.
Games are designed by giving us goals to reach to. Engineers and app developers tread a delicate balance between making it very hard to cross each level, but rewarding us just before we’re about to give up.
When games lure us with the promise of social camaraderie with anyone, anywhere on the planet and getting rewarded for developing skills, where is that readily available in real life??
How Dopamine Addiction works:
TVs are inert objects, they don’t give us a response to our stimulation. But a personal device like an iPad or an iPhone makes our relationship interactive. It makes us feel like we’re in control.
When we send out messages, write on our walls and post pictures with filters, we live in anticipation because of the promise of a response. And, that’s our stimuli. The reward circuits in our brain is programmed to thrive on that stimuli, which gives us a shot of dopamine (the feel good hormone) high whenever we see a notification, an alert or a beeping red light.
Understanding Down Regulation:
Down regulation is a phenomenon that occurs when there is a drop in dopamine receptors in the reward processing area of the brain.
This causes a decrease in our ability to feel pleasure, resulting in a need to seek more stimulation. And that keeps us scrolling endlessly, refreshing aimlessly to see if we can bring back some of those feel good hormones.
Technology is here to stay, what do we do about it? Be a smart consumer by being intentional about our time and use of it.
* * *
About The Article Author:
I see myself as an advocate for bringing social, emotional and character development to families, schools and communities. I never want to let this idea out of my sight – Our children are not just GPAs. I’m a Writer and a Certified Master Coach in NLP and CBT. Until 2017, I was also a Big Data Scientist. In December of 2044, I hope to win the Nobel. Namasté.
Write to me or call me. Tell me what support from me looks like.
Program Director & Essential Life Skills Coach for Kids and Busy Parents
The Digital Literacy Project: Disrupting humanity’s technology addiction habits one truth at a time.
Truth About Technology – A Digital Literacy Project
* The Short Answer, Yes. Read along. * Life Back Then: Emotionally available parents Less choices and options Clearly defined expectations Summer jobs and daily chores Adequate sleep and less processed food Movement and outdoors Creative play,...
* Here's an amusing fact about our lives. The intent behind every act of ours is either in anticipation of permanent relief or temporary alleviation of some sorrow. It's funny, isn't it? At a personal level when something or someone is giving us grief, it's...
* I timed this, it's a 6 minute read. You're moving away. And here I am, while you are packing to leave, watching videos of drunk people doing dumb shit. All the while wondering what pressures you will have to succumb to as a freshman. At the same time, I tell...
* When sitting, the electrical activity in our leg muscles shuts off, calorie consumption drops to one per minute, enzymes breaking down fat decrease by 90 percent and good cholesterol drops by approximately ten percent per hour of sitting. Sounds pretty...
* What’s A Text / Tech Neck? Wikipedia identifies the most painful physical side effect of mobile use. Text neck is the term used to describe the neck pain and damage sustained from looking down at your cell phone, tablet, or other wireless devices too...
* If it was upto our children, they would eat pizza for breakfast, play with the water hose all afternoon and eat cookies and milk for dinner. They won't compare themselves to anyone and they don't worry about anyone judging them. That's how simple their...
* What Is Robotics? Robotics for kids is a hands-on and fun way for kids to learn STEM concepts by letting them make their robots move, turn and use sensors. Robotics teaches kids how to program robots and machines to be intelligent and perform a number of...
* What Is Swatting: Swatting is the action or practice of making a prank call to emergency services in an attempt to bring about the dispatch of a large number of armed police officers to a particular address. “Swatting” is defined as a false report of an...
* The 4 S's of Parenting: Seen, Soothe, Safety, all three lead to the 4th S which is Security. Only if these 4 Ss are there, children can do a better job of making sense of the world around them. Research on child development says that one of the very best...
* What is CODING? • Code is the language of technology.• Code is what runs apps.• Code is what sent the Curiosity Rover to Mars.• Code is what's inside drones that sprayed Disinfectant on streets that were too dangerous for humans to walk around during Covid....
* How Stress Shows Up: Sometimes stress doesn't disappear when you work on your adult coloring books or indulge in a one hour massage session. Joy only seems to last as long as that fun activity did. Stress is complicated, so the solutions must be elaborate and...
* What's Happening In The World Of Beauty? Thinspo is a word. Did you know its existence? Thinspo is an abbreviation for thinspiration. Let's look at the trends. Our beauty standards have gone global, and anyone we see on the internet with the "perfect body"...
Questions, just ask!
Text or Call: 678.310.5025 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Bringing a Group? Email us for a special price!