Our Love And Hate Relationship With Tech:
Technology is a complex thing. On the one hand, the ability of being anonymous, makes it difficult to track who’s doing what. On the other hand, you can’t be your most vulnerable self on it, because there are strangers lurking everywhere watching your every move.
At the same time, it is ubiquitous, and a lack of presence on it is impossible. Of course, we can vilify the big bad world of the internet, but, nothing is much possible without it these days. We can engage in elearning, collaboration, and connection with our family that’s far away, thanks to the internet.
So, why worry about it too much? Kids will also learn by themselves about it right? Not so fast. As adults, we have the added advantage of having the discretionary power of figuring out what is wrong and what is right.
It’s important to find out about what’s going in the world of digital apps that our kids have access to. As people from a previous generation, we didn’t grow up with them, but it’s important for us to understand what are kids are playing with and watching.
How Children Are Vulnerable:
Children and Teens have some unique vulnerabilities for the stage of life they’re in.
- Due to their still developing brains, they might have poor judgment.
- Their changing bodies and their sexual curiosity is at its peak.
- They spend a lot of time alone especially while commuting back and forth from school.
- They feel insecure and misunderstood by their parents.
- They test their boundaries and take risks without understanding the consequences of their actions.
- They want independence and want to fit into their peer group.
Child Sex Trafficking And Grooming:
“Sex traffickers increasingly turn to social media and online platforms to recruit children for trafficking schemes.
In 2020, considering the COVID-19 pandemic lockdowns, the National Human Trafficking Hotline identified a 22% increase in online recruitment into trafficking schemes and reported the internet as the top recruitment location for all forms of trafficking.
From 2019 to 2020, there was a 125% increase in recruitment on Facebook and a 95% increase on Instagram since the previous year.”
The below resource will give us a the different kinds of trafficking that are happening and the methods employed by traffickers to exercise control and deception over child victims, convincing or persuading them using fraudulent promises made over the internet for their recruitment.
Click here for the Human Trafficking Report.
What Is Grooming?
Groomers or perverts, through DMs, are encouraging children and teens to send them explicit content in the guise of mentoring. Read more HERE.
Online recruitment may begin with commenting on potential victims’ photos and sending direct messages, carefully building the rapport and intimacy needed to entice victims into a false sense of trust.
Examples: fake romantic interests, extreme flattery, promises of gifts or other financial assistance, etc.
Find out more about how perverts attract our children at the POLARIS PROJECT.
Continued In Part II:
Check it out HERE.
Child Sex Trafficking Myths:
This post is an adapted version of the workshop that I attended.
It’s 9pm..Do you know what apps your teens are using?
Online Parent University “Keeping Teens Safe in a Digital World” on 9/27/23 Wednesday, 6pm-7pm.
In this meeting, we learnt about the safety concerns of popular apps among teens, unsafe default settings/parental controls, cyberbullying, and ways to teach teens to stay safe as they navigate the digital world.
* * *
The Digital Literacy Project: Disrupting humanity’s technology addiction habits one truth at a time.
Truth About Technology
Going out for dinner, calling your mom or going to a party used to be about talking to people, about conversation. But during the last ten years something has shifted. Instead of talking about the food, we post a picture of it online; instead of calling our mother, we send her an email updating her on our lives; and at the party we’re busy showing other people YouTube clips and messaging with friends at a bar instead of talking to other people there. In short, face-to-face conversation is nowhere to be found.
~ Reclaiming Conversation by Sherry Turkle
* Busyness Is Not Productivity: The internet has no ending, so is it a battle we won't win? Not necessarily. We just have to be intentional and vigilant about our use of our devices and time. There is always new information whenever we get onto the internet....
* The Man Vs. Machine Age: Digital Literacy: Irresistible: The Rise of Addictive Technology and the Business of Keeping Us Hooked By Adam Alter It’s Complicated: The Social Lives Of Networked Teens By Danah Boyd The Screen Strong Solution: How to Free Your...
A To Z About Tech Behavioral Disorders, Managing Addictions, And Their Impact On Relationships And Productivity
* Our digital landscape is changing day after day. And here are some urgent burning questions along with their answers. Please click below to learn more. 1) Why is Technology Addiction or Digital Addiction a problem at all? Can’t I have my hobby or interest? 2)...
* How We Learnt FOMO: Listen, I have nothing against technology. I can turn on and off the lights in my house from 200 miles away if I need to. During the pandemic, we bought a new car without ever stepping out of the house. What’s more, I don't have to wait...
* We’ve Been Click Baited: Cyberloafing is staying glued to the internet for hours on end. It is the act of searching and scrolling through content whether we have an urgent need for it or not. It is where we are searching for random things online. Chances are...
* Why We Can't Put Our Phones Down: Our brains are social organs, and we thrive on connection. What separates us from animals is our desire to belong, our desire to matter and to make an impact in the world. We see our identities in relation to how others...
* * Want To Listen To The Article Instead? * Cited Works: https://sba.thehartford.com/managing-employees/employees-getting-canned-over-social-media/ * The Future Of Work And The Role Of Non-Cognitive Skills: Read more...
* Signs Of Something Terrible: Around the house, and around you, there can be unmistakable signs of tech addiction. You have no interest in what's happening around you. You're lying to yourself about how much you use your phone. The first obvious sign is that...
* What's Going On? Children, tweens, and teens—unfortunately—have always had to deal with bullying and drama. We did, our parents did, our grandparents did…and so on. Traditional in-person bullying and drama still exists. But our youth today also have to...
Questions, just ask!
Text or Call: 678.310.5025 | Email: email@example.com
Bringing a Group? Email us for a special price!