What The Scriptures Say:
A mantra is a potent spiritual sound formula. A mystical sound which not only enchants the mind and helps to make it single-pointed and concentrated, but also being pregnant with ideas, helps purify the mind as well as reveal to us great mysteries about ourselves and the universe when we contemplate on its deeper meanings.
Of the many mantras that are available to us in our Scriptures, the most popular and highly emphasized is the Gayatri Mantra. There are many stories that indicate the greatness and importance of the Gayatri.
The Scriptures declare:
GAAYANTAM TRAAYATE YASMAAT GAAYATRI-ITI PRAKIRTITAA.
Translation: “That which protects the one who chants it is Gayatri.” The Gayatri is not an ordinary mantra. The mere sound of it can save man from great peril or sorrow.
In fact, it is said, NA Gaayatryaah Paro Mantrah, meaning, “There is no mantra greater than the Gayatri.”
The Origin Of Gayatri Mantra:
This Gayatri Mantra was revealed to Sage Vishwamitra who was the Rishi or the seer of this mantra, who gave out this most precious jewel of the Vedas. Truly as His name implies, He is the mitra, or friend, of the vishwa or entire universe. Later on in history the Gayatri was personified as the all-loving and benevolent Mother Goddess known as Gayatri Devi or Savitri Devi.
For starters, it would suffice to say that if, hypothetically, all our Vedas, all our scriptures, were lost or taken away from us and only this mantra remained, still, we would be able to revive or regenerate the entire spiritual culture of Bharat, for the Gayatri Mantra comprises the very essence of the Vedas. “The Geeta is the milk of the Upanishads”, in the same way, the Gayatri Mantra is the milk of the Vedas…its very quintessence.
The GAYATRI MANTRA the most powerful hymn in the world.
Research Around The Mantra:
Dr. Howard Steingeril, an American scientist, collected Mantras, Hymns and invocations from all over the world and tested for their strength in his Physiology Laboratory & Hindu’s Gayatri Mantra produced 110,000 sound waves /second…
This was the highest and was found to be the most powerful hymn in the world. Through the combination of sound or sound waves of a particular frequency, this Mantra is claimed to be capable of developing specific spiritual potentialities. The Hamburg university initiated research in to the efficacy of the Gayatri Mantra both on the mental and physical plane of CREATION…
The GAYATRI MANTRA is broadcasted daily for 15 minutes from 7 P.M. onwards over Radio Paramaribo, Surinam, South America for the past two years, and in Amsterdam, Holland for the last six months.
“Om Bhoor Bhuwah Swah, Tat Savitur Varenyam, Bhargo Devasya Dheemahi, Dhiyo Yo Nah Pra-chodayaat !”
God is dear to me like my own breath, He is the dispeller of my pains, and giver of happiness. I meditate on the supremely adorable Light of the Divine Creator, that it may inspire my thought and understanding.
Excerpt Of Gayatri:
Three Limbs Of Mantra:
(Text taken from “Gayatri -The highest Meditation”)
MANTRA is the sacred word with power or a combination of words heard by a sage. Mantra is that word which takes the man who sincerely chants it across the ocean of rebirth. Mantra is an incantation which, when uttered with correct intonation, yields results through the forces of nature, deities or angels whom one propitiates , whose hymn one utters or chants. It could be divided into three sections –
* Mantra which is a thought -power given in a few syllables or words for meditation by a Guru
* Stotra or prayer to a deity which may be subdivided into (a) general or (b) specific.
General mantras are for general goodness that has to come from God according to his will. Specific mantras are prayers of an individual to God to fulfill some of his specific desire.
* Kavacha are mantras used as an armor for protection. Many great Kavacha or mantra armors are found in the great epics and Puranas. Thus mantra, stotra and kavacha are the three limbs of the mantra devata or deity that presides over a mantra. One who knows this secret and follows the discipline reaches the goal.
Read more HERE.
How To Chant:
The Gayatri mantra is mentioned in the Srimad-Bhagavatam. Because the Gayatri mantra is especially meant for God realization, it represents the Supreme Lord. This mantra is meant for spiritually advanced people, and when one attains success in chanting it, he can enter into the transcendental position of the Lord.
One must first acquire the qualities of the perfectly situated person, the qualities of goodness according to the laws of material nature, in order to chant the Gayatri mantra. The Gayatri mantra is very important in Vedic civilization and is considered to be the sound incarnation of Brahman. Brahma is its initiator, and it is passed down from him in disciple succession.
Effect On The Body:
Audio Version Of Gayatri Mantra By Lakshmi Sukumar:
* * *
About The Article Author:
I see myself as an advocate for bringing social, emotional and character development to families, schools and communities. I never want to let this idea out of my sight – Our children are not just GPAs. I’m a Writer and a Certified Master Coach in NLP and CBT. Until 2017, I was also a Big Data Scientist. In December of 2044, I hope to win the Nobel. Namasté.
Write to me or call me. Tell me what support from me looks like.
Program Director & Essential Life Skills Coach for Kids and Busy Parents
About Sanatana Dharma
* Not where the musk of happiness blows,Not where darkness and fears never tread;Not in the homes of perpetual smiles,Nor in the heaven of a land of prosperityWould I be bornIf I must put on mortal garb once more. Dread famine may prowl and tear my...
* EYE HUNGER Eye hunger is triggered by food that you see. It can be other people who are eating, food that you see on the table or counter, seeing adverts, recipes and pictures of food. Other examples are food displays in delis, markets, restaurants or...
* The lotus is the symbol of truth, auspiciousness and beauty (satyam, shivam, sundaram). The Lord is also that nature and therefore, His various aspects are compared to a lotus (i.e. lotus-eyes, lotus feet, lotus hands, the lotus of the heart etc.). The lotus...
* Gunas: Our Vehicles Of Devotion: The Sanskrit word “guna” means attribute. These “attributes” serve as a powerful indicator and formulator of the physical principles of the earth. The concept of guna, is one of the more important teachings from India. These...
* Towards the end of every ritualistic worship (pooja or bhajan) of God or to welcome an honored guest or saint, we perform the aarati. This is always accompanied by the ringing of the bell and sometimes by singing, playing of musical instruments and clapping. It is...
* What Is Atman: Atman or Brahman is Existence Absolute, Knowledge Absolute, Bliss Absolute. It is different from the gross, subtle and causal bodies. It transcends the five sheaths (Pancha Koshas). It is the witness of the three states: waking, dreaming and...
* Navagrahas is also Nine Powers of Cosmic Energy of Universe as "Nine Astronomical Bodies" also built separate temples for each of them thousands of years ago when western and many other countries were striving in the dark ages. They have built Navagraha...
* Rituals And Meanings: A Hindu marriage comprises several meaningful rituals. Each such marriage ritual has varying degrees of significance. The most important of them all is the Saptapadi or the Seven Steps which the couple takes together after tying the...
* No two people react to the same situation in a similar way. Here are examples of two legendary personalities who were faced with a very similar situation, but thier responses were diagonally apart. One has been elevated but the other only recognised. It's in...
* Of all the Mantras, the most powerful and the significant one is the single -syllabled incantation called the Pranava. This is the "OM". The word "OM" has been taken as a symbol and as an aid to the meditation by spiritual aspirants. It is accepted both as...
* Thoughtful Quotes From The Gita: He who has faith has wisdom;Who lives in self-harmony,Whose faith is his life;And he who finds wisdom,Soon finds the peace Supreme.—The Bhagavad Gita As a man can drink water from any side of a full tank, so the skilled...
* Gita Chapter 17 Verse 7: ఆహారస్త్వపి సర్వస్య త్రివిధో భవతి ప్రియః | యజ్ఞస్తపస్తథా దానం తేషాం భేదమిమం శృణు || *ప్రతి పదార్థం* ఆహారః - ఆహారము; తు – నిశ్చయముగా; అపి – కూడా; సర్వస్య – ఎల్లవారికిని; త్రివిధః - మూడువిధములైనది; భవతి – అగును; ప్రియః - ప్రియము; యజ్ఞః...
Questions, just ask!
Text or Call: 678.310.5025 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Bringing a Group? Email us for a special price!