If it was upto our children, they would eat pizza for breakfast, play with the water hose all afternoon and eat cookies and milk for dinner. They won’t compare themselves to anyone and they don’t worry about anyone judging them. That’s how simple their choices and decisions can be.
So, why are we modern parents trying too hard?
Parenting is not difficult. Please don’t over engineer it. Children want guidance not your discipline. Because sometimes they simply don’t know the rules.
There is no power in punishment. Moreover, the affects lost only short term. When children do things they’re not supposed to, using the right words can be mean the difference between course correction or continued misbehavior.
“I didn’t expect this from you, I’m surprised.” can replace something like, “I keep telling you to clean up your toys and you never do.”
“I am upset at how you’re treating your brother.” can replace “Stop being so mean to your brother.”
“Get back to your place and finish working on your project.” can replace “Stop wasting your time walking around.” Also, being brief with your words, and disciplining them while catering to their needs also works.
We hear this from parents all the time. “My daughter loves her iPad.” “My son throws a fit when I take away his video game.” “He doesn’t like vegetables.” “She’s such a picky eater.”
Since when did we start letting kids parent themselves and dictate us how to raise them? How do they know what’s good for them to eat or what’s a good time to go to bed?
Imagine the alternative of not disciplining your children and showing them that your love for them has limits. And look out for all the empty playgrounds while our children binge watch on their personal devices.
* * *
About The Article Author:
I see myself as an advocate for bringing social, emotional and character development to families, schools and communities. I never want to let this idea out of my sight – Our children are not just GPAs. I’m a Writer and a Certified Master Coach in NLP and CBT. Until 2017, I was also a Big Data Scientist. In December of 2044, I hope to win the Nobel. Namasté.
Write to me or call me. Tell me what support from me looks like.
Program Director & Essential Life Skills Coach for Kids and Busy Parents
Parenting For a Digital Future
Check Out Our Latest In Mindful Parenting!
* Our Love And Hate Relationship With Tech: Technology is a complex thing. On the one hand, the ability of being anonymous, makes it difficult to track who's doing what. On the other hand, you can't be your most vulnerable self on it, because there are...
* From The Academic World To The Workforce: Entering the workforce straight out of high school can be both exciting and daunting. As you transition from the academic sphere into the professional world, it's crucial to consider a range of factors that can...
* The Good Citizen Initiative: We raise our teens with the singular goal of making them college application ready. But, in a world where every child is on the honor roll, young adults who are equipped with making big decisions now will thrive both in their...
When Life Happens, You Write When you’re a writer-at-large, you let life happen to you. That way, you let your eyes steal everything that they see, put a spin on it and spill onto paper / machine some “stream of consciousness” kinda cool stuff. And if I am a...
* https://youtu.be/y9ChCzYFiSg * Want To Listen To The Article Instead? * Cited Works: Survey Can Be Found HERE: https://www.nemours.org/well-beyond-medicine/what-s-worrying-america-s-kids-survey.html...
* EYE HUNGER Eye hunger is triggered by food that you see. It can be other people who are eating, food that you see on the table or counter, seeing adverts, recipes and pictures of food. Other examples are food displays in delis, markets, restaurants or...
* For parenting to be effective, we need to first understand and adjust our mindset. What are our fears for our children, do we love them for who they are or what they're capable of becoming? What do we truly want as parents? Let's look at a few things we do...
* What Is Positive Mental Health? When we're talking about mental health, we must go beyond psychopathology. Psychopathology is mental illness. How to check for positive mental health? Answering the question once in a while if "I'm doing everything I can in my...
Questions, just ask!
Text or Call: 678.310.5025 | Email: email@example.com
Bringing a Group? Email us for a special price!