What Is Self Efficacy:
The American Psychological Association defines Self-efficacy this way.
“Self-efficacy refers to an individual’s belief in his or her capacity to execute behaviors necessary to produce specific performance attainments (Bandura, 1977, 1986, 1997). Self-efficacy reflects confidence in the ability to exert control over one’s own motivation, behavior, and social environment.”
In other words, self-efficacy is a learnable mindset that makes people believe that they can accomplish what they’ve set out to do. When we adopt this trait, we are able to set our sights higher, try harder and persevere longer in the face of obstacles.
It’s an essential ingredient in problem solving and navigating uncertainty. And it starts with how we can love ourselves for a. who we are and b. how hard we’re trying to accomplish what we’ve set out to do.
In the long run, it helps us change the narrative of our own story. A great story must be transformative and drive change. A great story must inspire, motivate and persuade. Similarly, a great personal narrative can empower us to become the Chief Story Tellers of our own lives.
How to Build Self Efficacy:
People with low confidence in their abilities are not motivated to learn and challenge themselves to grow. The narrative that our brain stops growing at a certain age and that we all have a fixed mindset are so archaic, it’s amazing so many of us still believe that we can’t learn, grow and flourish each day.
Instead, we must be imparting the idea that competence is simply not a product of our innate intelligence but that of our meticulous hardwork and relentless efforts. As we work to improve our strengths and skills, we start to feel adequate. We begin to understand our capabilities and our full potential. We become positive, confident and learn to forgive ourselves for our missteps. Unlike with low self esteem, self efficacy gives us the ability to take on new challenges because setbacks make us try harder.
Self-Efficacy, Positive Mental Health and Success:
The best by product of developing self-efficacy is an improved sense of wellbeing. As a result when we try to accomplish challenging tasks and fail, we are quick to recover from failures.
With a mindset of “I have the ability to accomplish my goals”, we develop a positive state in the face of problems.
Whatever might be the problem, here are some cold hard facts. The world will always keep changing and we will always have problems. That’s the only constant in our lives. Then why not think solutions and not worry about problems. Why not think of the next steps ahead of us instead of mulling over the persistent condition?
Let’s start with thinking of ourselves as problem solvers. That’s an empowering thought. Now, let’s internalize this. “I’m down for anything. That’s just easy instead of fighting everything.” When faced with an adversity, challenge or catastrophic situation, thinking of what we can do instead of what could have been is going to be imperative.
Lessons for our Changing Landscape:
Only one thing in the digital age we live in is certain. We’re surrounded by constant, rapid and unpredictable change.
Then, how do we then make sure we’re ready to face uncertainty in career and real life? By learning skills like adaptability, problem solving and resilience, we can meet challenges with easy when they arise. And the rise of AI, the most important soft skill is the ability and agility to deal with uncertainty. Because, Robots haven’t learnt how to automate this skill yet.
Self efficacy is the feeling of adequacy you feel with yourself. It is simply giving yourself a few pats on the back that you’re skillful enough, good enough and that you can get stuff done. Why must one learn self efficacy? To feel confident, positive and powerful. It frees you up from the negative thoughts that worry you and allows for failure and missteps. Moreover, if you develop self efficacy you can learn to forgive yourself for your mistakes and try harder next time.
Accept that things are going to be hard, life is built for testing our endurance and charge ahead. On the other side of our adversity is our success story. Imagine the alternative, if we’re not willing to give ourselves a chance, who else will?? And that inner voice that’s stopping you? It’s time to crush it.
* * *
About The Article Author:
Our mission with FutureSTRONG Academy – to grow children who respect themselves, their time and their capabilities in a world where distractions are just a click or a swipe away.
I see myself as an advocate for bringing social, emotional and character development to families, schools and communities. I never want to let this idea out of my sight – Our children are not just GPAs. I’m a Writer and a Certified Master Coach in NLP and CBT. Until 2017, I was also a Big Data Scientist. In December of 2044, I hope to win the Nobel. Namasté.
Write to me or call me. Tell me what support from me looks like.
Program Director & Essential Life Skills Coach for Kids and Busy Parents
On Top Of The World
Here Are The Steps To Massive Success
Define It, Be Intentional About It, Conquer It
I Asked Chat GPT That I Plan To Win The Nobel Prize For Literature In 2044. Here’s What It Told Me.
* Nobel Prize - In Literature for 2044 Me: I want to win the Nobel Prize in 1944 for literature. Chat GPT: I understand that you're interested in winning the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1944. However, as an AI, I'm unable to assist you in achieving that...
Why Fear Death When It Can Be The Biggest Motivator Of All
* Our Relationship With Immortality: People who don’t know what to do on a lazy Sunday afternoon want to live forever. That’s the lure of immortality. All throughout our lives, we strive for wealth, fame, knowledge and happiness. We also long for immortality...
A To Z About Tech Behavioral Disorders, Managing Addictions, And Their Impact On Relationships And Productivity
* Our digital landscape is changing day after day. And here are some urgent burning questions along with their answers. Please click below to learn more. 1) Why is Technology Addiction or Digital Addiction a problem at all? Can’t I have my hobby or interest? 2)...
Why And How To Develop Resourcefulness
* It’s a fact that we will never have the time or the expertise to solve all of our problems. We must somehow then become creative with our problem solving capabilities. That's where the skill of resourcefulness comes into play. When we’re resourceful, we can...
Here’s How To Preserve A Keen Sense Of Wellbeing On A Daily Basis
* Let’s Define Wellbeing: As humans, we’re driven by this singular goal. What do you want in life? Ask anyone and surely most times it will be a “I just want to be happy!” So, let’s see how our happiness is determined by how we feel about ourselves on a daily...
Sometimes, The Punishment Doesn’t Have To Fit The Crime. It’s Time To Forgive Not Forget.
* As humans, we are naturally predisposed to being loving and compassionate. In this context, forgiveness is our path to being free. Don't believe me? Please, allow me to explain. Only when we experience evil, can we shine a light on our capacity to forgive....
Run, Hide Or Fight. Is That What Our Sweet America Has Come Down To?
* Our Nation Right Now: As I shopped at our local hardware store this morning, I was vary of fellow shoppers around me. I was watchful of the cars that were coming and going as I crossed the street from my parked car. There's something on my mind right now....
Training In Social Media Literacy Important Before Use Of Any Platform, Warns American Psychological Association (APA).
* https://youtu.be/p09IsNxhBxg * Want To Listen To The Article Instead? * Cited Works: https://www.apa.org/topics/social-media-internet/health-advisory-adolescent-social-media-use * How We Engage Online: Lack of...
What Is Cyberloafing And How Does It Impact Our Productivity At Life And Work?
* We’ve Been Click Baited: Cyberloafing is staying glued to the internet for hours on end. It is the act of searching and scrolling through content whether we have an urgent need for it or not. It is where we are searching for random things online. Chances are...
Hit Hard By Chronic Loneliness? Here’s How To Take Charge And Help Yourself.
The Antidote To Loneliness Yes, there is joy, fulfillment, and companionship, but the loneliness of the soul in its appalling self-consciousness is horrible and overpowering. ~ Sylvia Plath Questions, just ask! Text or Call: 678.310.5025 | Email:...
A Sustainable And Scientific Approach Handbook To Positive Productivity
* Recover Fast And Often: If you want to be a productivity machine, there are few things you will have to consider. The first one is the obvious mindset change. That, even if we get distracted for a few moments in a day, all is not lost. We literally can...
Every Child Can Live To Their Ultimate Potential. Help Them With The 3 B’s.
* Early from childhood, our live and our circumstances determine our inherent human potential. For us to become productive and contributing members of society, there are three key factors that should work in our favor. The 3 B’s of reaching our highest...
Questions, just ask!
Text or Call: 678.310.5025 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Bringing a Group? Email us for a special price!