My Chest Tightens:
As I log into twitter, I see Dalai Lama trending. “Cool, the world is awakening, what a pleasant surprise?” Well, it didn’t take my joy to turn into dismay in a few minutes. This tweet fell into my feed.
I scroll down to the replies to see what this was all about. I see a video posted over and over again. I watch as the child is kissed on the lips by his “Holiness”. “Suck my tongue”, he says to the child who is probably around 8 or 9 years old.
My chest tightens instantaneously, as I watch an 87 year old “God-like” man doing what he is doing. The child can be seen withdrawing himself from Dalai Lama many times as he is fondled repeatedly. The sadness I feel hearing the cheers and claps of the mostly adult audience almost paralyses me.
I feel I have to assume the burden of the trauma the child might have just experienced. The child might not be able to fully comprehend what has happened, so I am going to feel and show my outrage on his behalf.
The World Copes:
Others have reacted and coped with the situation in ways we all know how to in this digital age. By meeting his actions with horror, humor and justification.
Case 1: Horror:
Case 2: Humor:
Case 3: Justification:
Links to articles like these where sticking out one’s tongue as a mark of respect or reverence have been part of some replies. Oh, give me a break. It is beyond my comprehension, how such an act can even been justified.
Tibetan greeting: Sticking out one’s tongue is a sign of respect or agreement and was often used as a greeting in traditional Tibetan culture. According to Tibetan folklore, a cruel ninth-century Tibetan king had a black tongue, so people stick out their tongues to show that they are not like him (and aren’t his reincarnation).
Source: The Institute Of East Asian Studies @ UC Berkeley
Kindness And Wisdom Is Not Lost:
For me, Dalai Lama’s teachings, either through his speeches and books he wrote or cowrote with others, have been a lifeline through some tough times in my life. This site you are on right now is filled with quotes and book recommendations of him.
I need to cleanse. I need to purge myself of any references to him I still carry. Our collective sense of safety and love have been tarnished. The world needs to heal for the sake of the child who has been thrust into a limelight, the shadow of which will haunt him for the rest of his life.
In the end, its the words of my 14 year old that come to my rescue. “It is sad amma, people in power do extremely disappointing things sometimes, that’s why I don’t want to become powerful.”
I was looking for wisdom everywhere, even in the heart of a self proclaimed Holiness, when all the world’s kindness is right here at home.
“Children are not the people of tomorrow. But, they’re the people of today.” – Janusz Korczak, the man who wrote books like How to love a child, said.
* * *
About The Article Author:
Our mission with FutureSTRONG Academy – to grow children who respect themselves, their time and their capabilities in a world where distractions are just a click or a swipe away.
I see myself as an advocate for bringing social, emotional and character development to families, schools and communities. I never want to let this idea out of my sight – Our children are not just GPAs. I’m a Writer and a Certified Master Coach in NLP and CBT. Until 2017, I was also a Big Data Scientist. In December of 2044, I hope to win the Nobel. Namasté.
Write to me or call me. Tell me what support from me looks like.
Program Director & Essential Life Skills Coach for Kids and Busy Parents
Essays On Life
Why We See Outrage, How Hope Helps And Handling The Stressors Of Life
True heroism is minutes, hours, weeks, year upon year of the quiet, precise, judicious exercise of probity and care-with no one there to see or cheer. This is the world. ~ David Foster Wallace
Questions, just ask!
Text or Call: 678.310.5025 | Email: email@example.com
Bringing a Group? Email us for a special price!
If Your Child Is Using Tiktok Or Snapchat, You Must Know About Sammy’s Law And Other Legislations
* Organization for Social Media Safety: Here's the story of how teens, social media and drugs collided in the online world resulting in absolute destruction. This is the story of Sammy. And here's what Sammy's mom wrote on her Facebook wall about her son. "As...
I Asked Chat GPT That I Plan To Win The Nobel Prize For Literature In 2044. Here’s What It Told Me.
* Nobel Prize - In Literature for 2044 Me: I want to win the Nobel Prize in 1944 for literature. Chat GPT: I understand that you're interested in winning the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1944. However, as an AI, I'm unable to assist you in achieving that...
All The Important Terms And Definitions Around College Applications And Admissions
* Early Action: A college admission policy that allows applicants to apply and receive notice of their admission early. Applicants accepted under early action are not under a binding agreement to attend that school and may submit applications to other schools. ...
Free Resources For Financial Aid Scholarships For Teens And College Students Along With Deadlines
* Financial Aid and Scholarship Web Sites: College can be expensive. It is important that you understand all of the resources that are available to you and your family. Below we have listed great resources to help you map out your financial aid plan. Always...
Digital Citizenship: What It Is, How To Learn It, And The Resources You Need
* Technological Literacy or Digital Citizenship is the wealth of knowledge that we all need in order to be good citizens of the digital age. We all have a playbook for how to live in the real world, and digital citizenship guidelines allow us to understand the...
14 Powerful Quotes From The Book, The Big Disconnect – Sustainable Family For The Digital Age
* Quotable Quotes From The Big Disconnect: Excerpts From the book, The Big Disconnect: Protecting Childhood and Family Relationships in the Digital Age By Catherine Steiner-Adair EdD. It's a powerful reminder to understand how to protect childhood and family...
What Are Brain Breaks And Why Does Everyone Need Them?
* Brain breaks or mental speed bumps are focused attention activities that give brains a break from intense mentally challenging lessons children are expected to learn every day. They are good for us adults too because so much is expected out of us each day....
Why Fear Death When It Can Be The Biggest Motivator Of All
* Our Relationship With Immortality: People who don’t know what to do on a lazy Sunday afternoon want to live forever. That’s the lure of immortality. All throughout our lives, we strive for wealth, fame, knowledge and happiness. We also long for immortality...
A To Z About Tech Behavioral Disorders, Managing Addictions, And Their Impact On Relationships And Productivity
* Our digital landscape is changing day after day. And here are some urgent burning questions along with their answers. Please click below to learn more. 1) Why is Technology Addiction or Digital Addiction a problem at all? Can’t I have my hobby or interest? 2)...
Understanding Relationship Etiquette In A World Of Faceless Usernames And Two Dimensional Emojis
* How We Learnt FOMO: Listen, I have nothing against technology. I can turn on and off the lights in my house from 200 miles away if I need to. During the pandemic, we bought a new car without ever stepping out of the house. What’s more, I don't have to wait...
Why And How To Develop Resourcefulness
* It’s a fact that we will never have the time or the expertise to solve all of our problems. We must somehow then become creative with our problem solving capabilities. That's where the skill of resourcefulness comes into play. When we’re resourceful, we can...
A Whole Family Digital Health Reset Is Just A Few Action Steps Away
* Signs of Parental Anguish: Children and adults are using screens as a coping mechanism. There's a lot of technoference in our lives and we are having to combat it constantly. This is our new normal from the past decade in familial and professional settings....