Self Confidence Vs. Self Esteem?
Wikipedia: The concept of self-confidence is commonly used as self-assurance in one’s personal judgment, abilities, power, etc.
The definition of self confidence of a child is not unilateral. Its determined based on a combination of many events a child experiences – at home, at school and among his peers. Its a child’s ability to take initiation in a task without hesitation. Its his ability to being comfortable in his own skin. Imagine a child who’s academically brilliant, but doesn’t have the self confidence to raise his hand to answer all the questions he knows in class. How’s the teacher to find out about his abilities?
But if the child is self confident, he’s ready to meet challenges, face failures, and quickly adapt to changing situations without his inner monologue blocking his every move. As he grows up, you can trust him to be the first one to hit the dance floor, jump into action to help others who’re struggling and also share his opinions publicly to create a positive environment around him.
Self esteem is how much the child values himself and his abilities. It leads to how he surrounds himself with things that reflect his own view of himself. Children with a healthy self esteem value their interests and their personal contributions to society. They don’t feel the need to embellish themselves with symbols or other crutches that artificially boost one’s status in society. When adversity hits, they often bounce back quickly because they’re not afraid to try harder again and again and again.
Factors Affecting Self Confidence And Self Esteem In Children:
During the ages of 5 to 12, children learn to do things on their own. This is the age where they feel confident in their ability to initiate and achieve goals. Negligence or restrictions on a child during such time casts doubts on his own abilities leaving him not striving for competence because of feelings of inadequacy. ~ Industry (competence) vs. Inferiority by Erik Erikson.
- Many children are naturally anxious about high expectations at home and school as they continue to learn. As they enter middle school, they are also eager to meet peer expectations. Sometimes peer expectations can be in direct conflict with parental expectations. What is cool with his peers might be an absolute no no for a child’s parent.
- Setting expectations positively or negatively impact your child’s self confidence.
- Positively: The more you encourage good behavior the more the child is likely to work towards meeting expectations.
- Negatively: If you expect more and more, the burden of meeting expectations on moving targets falls heavily on the child.
- Kids can often internalize frustration towards their parents, “How many times do I have to tell you that its becoming too much for me. How many activities have you signed me up for?”
- Moving towns or even schools in the middle of their emerging youth years might be a detriment to their self worth. As we all know, finding new friends at any age can always been challenging.
Read more HERE.
* * *
Parenting For a Digital Future
Check Out Our Latest In Mindful Parenting!
If Your Child Is Using Tiktok Or Snapchat, You Must Know About Sammy’s Law And Other Legislations
* Organization for Social Media Safety: Here's the story of how teens, social media and drugs collided in the online world resulting in absolute destruction. This is the story of Sammy. And here's what Sammy's mom wrote on her Facebook wall about her son. "As...
I Asked Chat GPT That I Plan To Win The Nobel Prize For Literature In 2044. Here’s What It Told Me.
* Nobel Prize - In Literature for 2044 Me: I want to win the Nobel Prize in 1944 for literature. Chat GPT: I understand that you're interested in winning the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1944. However, as an AI, I'm unable to assist you in achieving that...
All The Important Terms And Definitions Around College Applications And Admissions
* Early Action: A college admission policy that allows applicants to apply and receive notice of their admission early. Applicants accepted under early action are not under a binding agreement to attend that school and may submit applications to other schools. ...
The Essentials Of Education – Learning Through Play, Exploration And Abstraction
* Natural Born Learners: Children are born with enormous curiosity, an eagerness to learn and a strong will to solve problems. Because of this, they can be very easily taught how to think, learn and behave. Children can be taught to appreciate what they have,...
Free Resources For Financial Aid Scholarships For Teens And College Students Along With Deadlines
* Financial Aid and Scholarship Web Sites: College can be expensive. It is important that you understand all of the resources that are available to you and your family. Below we have listed great resources to help you map out your financial aid plan. Always...
Digital Citizenship: What It Is, How To Learn It, And The Resources You Need
* Technological Literacy or Digital Citizenship is the wealth of knowledge that we all need in order to be good citizens of the digital age. We all have a playbook for how to live in the real world, and digital citizenship guidelines allow us to understand the...
14 Powerful Quotes From The Book, The Big Disconnect – Sustainable Family For The Digital Age
* Quotable Quotes From The Big Disconnect: Excerpts From the book, The Big Disconnect: Protecting Childhood and Family Relationships in the Digital Age By Catherine Steiner-Adair EdD. It's a powerful reminder to understand how to protect childhood and family...
What Are Brain Breaks And Why Does Everyone Need Them?
* Brain breaks or mental speed bumps are focused attention activities that give brains a break from intense mentally challenging lessons children are expected to learn every day. They are good for us adults too because so much is expected out of us each day....
Self Efficacy: How The Belief In Yourself Is The First Step Towards Goal Setting
* What Is Self Efficacy: The American Psychological Association defines Self-efficacy this way. "Self-efficacy refers to an individual's belief in his or her capacity to execute behaviors necessary to produce specific performance attainments (Bandura, 1977,...
Why Fear Death When It Can Be The Biggest Motivator Of All
* Our Relationship With Immortality: People who don’t know what to do on a lazy Sunday afternoon want to live forever. That’s the lure of immortality. All throughout our lives, we strive for wealth, fame, knowledge and happiness. We also long for immortality...
A To Z About Tech Behavioral Disorders, Managing Addictions, And Their Impact On Relationships And Productivity
* Our digital landscape is changing day after day. And here are some urgent burning questions along with their answers. Please click below to learn more. 1) Why is Technology Addiction or Digital Addiction a problem at all? Can’t I have my hobby or interest? 2)...
Understanding Relationship Etiquette In A World Of Faceless Usernames And Two Dimensional Emojis
* How We Learnt FOMO: Listen, I have nothing against technology. I can turn on and off the lights in my house from 200 miles away if I need to. During the pandemic, we bought a new car without ever stepping out of the house. What’s more, I don't have to wait...
Why And How To Develop Resourcefulness
* It’s a fact that we will never have the time or the expertise to solve all of our problems. We must somehow then become creative with our problem solving capabilities. That's where the skill of resourcefulness comes into play. When we’re resourceful, we can...
A Whole Family Digital Health Reset Is Just A Few Action Steps Away
* Signs of Parental Anguish: Children and adults are using screens as a coping mechanism. There's a lot of technoference in our lives and we are having to combat it constantly. This is our new normal from the past decade in familial and professional settings....
These Studies Show The Dangerous Effects Of Distracted Parents On Children’s Wellbeing
* Hyper-Connected Parents; Dis Connected Progeny: Our children are addicted and so are we, that's the tragic situation of our world in the digital disruption age. We would rather be somewhere else rather than in the present moment, atleast that's what our...
7 Habits of Highly Successful Teens
* 7 Areas Of Growth: Here are 7 areas in which teens can work to improve their ultimate potential. 1. Organization2. Time management3. Skill growth4. Mindset management5. Stress management6. Sleep management7. Screen distraction management * Top Mindsets...
4 Wellness Essentials for Parents and Caregivers
* Child Care Doesn't Have To Be Stressful: Being a parent or caregiver can be an incredibly rewarding role, but there’s no denying that it isn’t an easy one. According to a new poll by the Pew Research Center, about four in ten parents (41%) in the US say...
Here’s How To Preserve A Keen Sense Of Wellbeing On A Daily Basis
* Let’s Define Wellbeing: As humans, we’re driven by this singular goal. What do you want in life? Ask anyone and surely most times it will be a “I just want to be happy!” So, let’s see how our happiness is determined by how we feel about ourselves on a daily...
Questions, just ask!
Text or Call: 678.310.5025 | Email: email@example.com
Bringing a Group? Email us for a special price!