Don’t Ask Closed Questions:
Here are a few questions that require no elaboration. These kind of questions are called Closed questions. Closed questions are usually easy to answer as the choice of answer is typically a yes or no. And we all know that powerful questions don’t just elicit yes or no.
• Are you feeling better today?
• Do you need to use the bathroom?
• Have you already completed your assignment?
• Is that your final answer?
• Do you need help with that?
Instead Ask Open Questions:
Life around us is changing at an Exponential speed. Children in grade school now are going to do jobs that have not been invented yet.
Leaving children to ponder over questions is also a great way to increase their curiosity and engagement. Even for inculcating problem solving, we can ask children open-ended questions.
• What’s the problem?
• What would happen if ..?
• Would it be safe to do this?
• Would it be fair?
• How would everyone feel about this?
• What do you think is the real challenge here for you?
• Are you trying to avoid anything?
• If you are saying yes to this, what are you saying no to?
Asking Why questions can make them become judgmental about things, so they can be avoided. Another point. Adding “Did you” in the end creates mental interactions.
Here’s A Great Sample Question:
What will you become when you grow up?
What problems do you plan to solve.
These kind of questions don’t answer their own life’s questions, they help children discover their own answers.
Questions To Ask To Teach Them Self-Advocacy:
Find them HERE.
When #$%$%^#$ Hits The Fan:
When hit with uncertainty, our brain jumps into action to navigate the way out of any situation. So, by asking open ended questions, we help children learn creative problem solving. We help them engage their own mind to ta take on new challenges and develop the much needed self-efficacy to thrive.
At FutureSTRONG Academy, our lesson plans include activities which promote Divergent Thinking. We ask a lot of “What If” Questions, and do activities that encourage Brainstorming + Ideation to arrive at alternative solutions to the same issues.
Find out more HERE.
* * *
About The Article Author:
I see myself as an advocate for bringing social, emotional and character development to families, schools and communities. I never want to let this idea out of my sight – Our children are not just GPAs. I’m a Writer and a Certified Master Coach in NLP and CBT. Until 2017, I was also a Big Data Scientist. In December of 2044, I hope to win the Nobel. Namasté.
Write to me or call me. Tell me what support from me looks like.
Program Director & Essential Life Skills Coach for Kids and Busy Parents
Parenting For a Digital Future
Check Out Our Latest In Mindful Parenting!
* Continued From Part II: Check it out HERE. * For Many Tiktok Needs No Introduction: In this attention economy, there's no bigger lure for children, teens and adults like Tiktok. It's an app that promises to showcase your creativity serving it up...
* We've all seen the naughty kids, the tantrum throwers and the belligerent ones. But, here's the thing though. Children are not aware of or able to articulate the real reasons behind their actions, especially if they have behavioral and emotional difficulties....
* Continued From Part I: Check it out HERE. * Discovering On Snapchat: Yes, we are in the digital age, and kids will have to find ways for social integration online. Yes, it is inevitable. But, one of the most useless apps on the planet can be...
Part I: Part II: Part III: Part IV: For Your Spiritual, Mental And Psychological Wellness Here Are Free Resources For Children, Teens, Adults And ParentsQuestions, just ask! Text or Call: 678.310.5025 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Bringing a Group?...
* Busyness Is Not Productivity: The internet has no ending, so is it a battle we won't win? Not necessarily. We just have to be intentional and vigilant about our use of our devices and time. There is always new information whenever we get onto the internet....
Questions, just ask!
Text or Call: 678.310.5025 | Email: email@example.com
Bringing a Group? Email us for a special price!