Just how far will you abandon your authenticity to gain approval of others?
Approval or authenticity. Where do you draw the line?
We can train as much and as long as we want, but unless we test it in real life, we are not turning our learning into action. When our training and testing coincide, we’re living our truth.
When we speak and act our personal truth and values, we’re living in an authentic way. We begin to live in a “No conflict” zone, where our thoughts, words and our actions are aligned.
Here’s what can be confusing. “Should I just be one thing to be authentic?” No, our authentic self can be flexible & firm, fierce & forgiving – all at once.
Too much authenticity without concern for others can be detrimental in a lot of ways. Take the example of Tony Hayward, the then CEO of BP, who was talking to US Coast Guard employees about massive oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico. Imagine the thousands of lives and livelihoods that were effected and the disruption that cause the entire surrounding communities.
Tony said in a press conference. “We’re sorry for the massive disruption it’s caused to their lives. We are. There’s no one who wants this thing over more than I do. You know, I’d like my life back. So there’s no one who wants this thing done more than I do and we are doing everything we can to contain the oil offshore, defend the shoreline and return people’s lives to normal as fast as we can. There’s just no effort being spared in any dimension.” It’s fair to understand why he was kicked out of his job after the conference.
Authenticity is how we validate ourselves, build our personal brand, and fuel our confidence. Just how well do we know ourselves? Authenticity is a daily practice of embracing who we are and letting go of what we think we’re supposed to be. Side effects of authenticity include, but are, not limited to, joy and happiness.
And most importantly, how can we be anything BUT ourselves? If I don’t want to be what others have defined me to be, then who is my TRUE self?
After all if you’re not what others have defined you to be, then who is your TRUE self? Let’s us look at the true nature of things around us. Nature itself is continuous, eternal and unyielding.
In front of nature, we remove our armor, because we can’t do anything but surrender in front of its magnitude. True joy is when you connect with your true nature. Nourish your inner nature and you won’t find yourself influenced by jealousy, anger, ego and greed.
Use your body to convey your authentic image. Dress comfortably. Maintain soft eye contact, show them you have the other person’s attention and keep your hands open, to show approachability.
Finally, there are dangers in personal narratives. Be the one around whom people try a little harder to be their own self.
Watch what you tell yourself what you are and what you are NOT capable of. Here’s a question.
Who have you allowed to decide that you’re NOT good enough? And I don’t understand this, how can you be anything but YOURSELF?
Authentic is a rare breed. Join it.
In Hamlet, Shakespeare writes, “This above all: to thine own self be true”
Body Language Expert Explains How to Show Confidence | WIRED:
* * *
About The Article Author:
I see myself as an advocate for bringing social, emotional and character development to families, schools and communities. I never want to let this idea out of my sight – Our children are not just GPAs. I’m a Writer and a Certified Master Coach in NLP and CBT. Until 2017, I was also a Big Data Scientist. In December of 2044, I hope to win the Nobel. Namasté.
Write to me or call me. Tell me what support from me looks like.
Program Director & Essential Life Skills Coach for Kids and Busy Parents
CONFIDENCE - A Pillar of FutureSTRONG Academy
Our children will one day face the real world without our support. Academic development is not the only skill they will need in the real world where people skills like taking the lead, emotional intelligence and a strong moral compass will determine who will shine. So, as parents who want to raise well rounded adults, we want to give them the right tools for their personal development.
Here is CONFIDENCE as described as the 6 C’s of Future STRONG.
Find Below Better Strategies On Unstoppable CONFIDENCE
* What Is A Difficult Conversation? One of the top reasons why we procrastinate when it comes to relationships is our inability to have difficult conversations. Especially, if it involves discussing a topic of concern that might irreversibly alter the status...
* What Are We Doing When We Are Mindful? Let us find out how we know we're being mindful at any given time. We are doing these below things if we're being in the moment. • Putting the focus on us not on external things• Creating distance and objectivity•...
* We all carry baggages of “what-ifs” and “what-else’s” with us, and at the same time give ourselves unlimited freedom to judge ourselves. Will we stop and call the stranger on the street all the names we call ourselves? Then, why do we think we can do that to...
* * * Please call and talk to someone. You ARE precious. * Domestic Violence: 1 in 4 women and 1 in 9 men experience severe intimate partner physical violence, intimate partner contact sexual violence, and/or intimate partner stalking with...
* So many parents come to us with this idea."My children are doing great at school. I don't think you have anything to offer them." And here is what we tell them.We're not fixing anything, we're simply building on top of their academic skills. That's because...
* As parents, we’re constantly fretting over which after school programs are best for our children, and what the right activities are for their interests. Should they engage in academic or social enrichment? Do we have them complete math worksheets or spend...
* What Is Self Efficacy: The American Psychological Association defines Self-efficacy this way. "Self-efficacy refers to an individual's belief in his or her capacity to execute behaviors necessary to produce specific performance attainments (Bandura, 1977,...
* Our Relationship With Immortality: People who don’t know what to do on a lazy Sunday afternoon want to live forever. That’s the lure of immortality. All throughout our lives, we strive for wealth, fame, knowledge and happiness. We also long for immortality...
* How We Learnt FOMO: Listen, I have nothing against technology. I can turn on and off the lights in my house from 200 miles away if I need to. During the pandemic, we bought a new car without ever stepping out of the house. What’s more, I don't have to wait...
* Let’s Define Wellbeing: As humans, we’re driven by this singular goal. What do you want in life? Ask anyone and surely most times it will be a “I just want to be happy!” So, let’s see how our happiness is determined by how we feel about ourselves on a daily...
* Our Nation Right Now: As I shopped at our local hardware store this morning, I was vary of fellow shoppers around me. I was watchful of the cars that were coming and going as I crossed the street from my parked car. There's something on my mind right now....
* Effects of Marijuana and How Parents Can Help: Why is it important for parents to be informed about marijuana? Young people who use marijuana are 4 to 7 times more likely than adults to become addicted to marijuana; however, the longer teens and young...
Questions, just ask!
Text or Call: 678.310.5025 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Bringing a Group? Email us for a special price!