Just how far will you abandon your authenticity to gain approval of others?
Approval or authenticity. Where do you draw the line?
We can train as much and as long as we want, but unless we test it in real life, we are not turning our learning into action. When our training and testing coincide, we’re living our truth.
When we speak and act our personal truth and values, we’re living in an authentic way. We begin to live in a “No conflict” zone, where our thoughts, words and our actions are aligned.
Here’s what can be confusing. “Should I just be one thing to be authentic?” No, our authentic self can be flexible & firm, fierce & forgiving – all at once.
Too much authenticity without concern for others can be detrimental in a lot of ways. Take the example of Tony Hayward, the then CEO of BP, who was talking to US Coast Guard employees about massive oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico. Imagine the thousands of lives and livelihoods that were effected and the disruption that cause the entire surrounding communities.
Tony said in a press conference. “We’re sorry for the massive disruption it’s caused to their lives. We are. There’s no one who wants this thing over more than I do. You know, I’d like my life back. So there’s no one who wants this thing done more than I do and we are doing everything we can to contain the oil offshore, defend the shoreline and return people’s lives to normal as fast as we can. There’s just no effort being spared in any dimension.” It’s fair to understand why he was kicked out of his job after the conference.
Authenticity is how we validate ourselves, build our personal brand, and fuel our confidence. Just how well do we know ourselves? Authenticity is a daily practice of embracing who we are and letting go of what we think we’re supposed to be. Side effects of authenticity include, but are, not limited to, joy and happiness.
And most importantly, how can we be anything BUT ourselves? If I don’t want to be what others have defined me to be, then who is my TRUE self?
After all if you’re not what others have defined you to be, then who is your TRUE self? Let’s us look at the true nature of things around us. Nature itself is continuous, eternal and unyielding.
In front of nature, we remove our armor, because we can’t do anything but surrender in front of its magnitude. True joy is when you connect with your true nature. Nourish your inner nature and you won’t find yourself influenced by jealousy, anger, ego and greed.
Use your body to convey your authentic image. Dress comfortably. Maintain soft eye contact, show them you have the other person’s attention and keep your hands open, to show approachability.
Finally, there are dangers in personal narratives. Be the one around whom people try a little harder to be their own self.
Watch what you tell yourself what you are and what you are NOT capable of. Here’s a question.
Who have you allowed to decide that you’re NOT good enough? And I don’t understand this, how can you be anything but YOURSELF?
Authentic is a rare breed. Join it.
In Hamlet, Shakespeare writes, “This above all: to thine own self be true”
* * *
About The Article Author:
I see myself as an advocate for bringing social, emotional and character development to families, schools and communities. I never want to let this idea out of my sight – Our children are not just GPAs. I’m a Writer and a Certified Master Coach in NLP and CBT. Until 2017, I was also a Big Data Scientist. In December of 2044, I hope to win the Nobel. Namasté.
Write to me or call me. Tell me what support from me looks like.
Program Director & Essential Life Skills Coach for Kids and Busy Parents
CONFIDENCE - A Pillar of FutureSTRONG Academy
Our children will one day face the real world without our support. Academic development is not the only skill they will need in the real world where people skills like taking the lead, emotional intelligence and a strong moral compass will determine who will shine. So, as parents who want to raise well rounded adults, we want to give them the right tools for their personal development.
Here is CONFIDENCE as described as the 6 C’s of Future STRONG.
Find Below Better Strategies On Unstoppable CONFIDENCE
* The Top 5 Charisma Traits: There are only five major personality traits: openness, conscientiousness, extroversion, agreeableness and neuroticism. They make up the acronym OCEAN, and each is present to a certain extent in every person. These traits are often...
Should You Take A Calculated Risk Or Should You Stay In Your Comfort Zone? The Answer Lies In Your Brain.
* There are two aspects to our brain when it comes to trying out new things. One of them is the activation system and the other is the inhibition system. The activation system encourages us to do things based on potential rewards, for example like putting up...
Chasing Happiness Every Day? A Powerful Mindset Shift Can Enable Us To Capture Even This Fleeting Emotion.
* Happiness Now: There are two things that pierce the human heart - beauty and unmerited suffering. Every one of us is chasing happiness and peace in absolute terms. But, isn't it surprising that the 2nd person to the win the medal on the podium is the most...
* * Want To Listen To The Article Instead? * Cited Works: https://behindtheathlete.es/en/blog/lessons-from-champions-by-pep-mari/ * * * Here Are The Steps To Massive Success Define It, Be Intentional About It, Conquer...
* Beholding Our Truth: We live in a world of fake news. Someone's breaking news, can be another person's subjective opinion, or so it seems. There's a lack of objectivity and balance in presenting facts these days. Be it personal or political news, we are more...
The Foolproof Way To A Simple Life: Lessons On Cognitive Freedom, Our Full Potential And The Next Sunrise
* The Tamed Life: We all live our lives a little like this. We're tied down to situations, people and things that give us happiness or sorrow, and we hang out with bad company sometimes. And yet, we can't seem to get out of our comfort zones. The question is,...
* The Qualities Of Successful People: The two most important ingredients of unimaginable success are consistent focus and passion towards our desired outcomes. Success is the coming together of self-discipline, talent, intelligence, strength and motivation....
Weather Any Storm. Stop Validating Your Choices, Making Excuses And Other Things That Hurt Your Confidence
* Much Ado About Self-Reliance? Someone once said, "A man who desires only what he can do for himself is really free to do whatever he pleases." This is the power of self-reliance and the power of knowing that we're the masters of our own destiny. That way we...
Great Mentors Are Authentic, Self-Aware And Inspire Others To Super Charge Their Potential. Find One Today.
* We need coaches to help us understand how to overcome obstacles. And we need them to help us to see hope where there's none. They are a special fertilizer that can revive the old soil that we're standing on, so we can plant some new ideas. They're there for...
* What Makes Up Our Personal Mind Maps? Personal mental map is made up of opinions, beliefs and assumptions. We keep updating it every day as our conclusions get challenged one way or another. Because of what we assume, we form attitudes and opinions towards...
* According to Amy Cuddy, an American Social Psychologist, this is how we size up others. We quickly answer two questions for ourselves, when we meet anyone for the first time. 1. Can I trust this person?2. Can I respect this person? Psychologists...
Now Is The Time To Decide
* * Want To Listen To The Article Instead? * * * The Ultimate Guide To Personal And Professional Goal Setting And How To Do It WellQuestions, just ask! Text or Call: 678.310.5025 | Email: email@example.com Bringing...
Find Below All About The Self And The Mind
Our children will one day face the real world without our support. Academic development is not the only skill they will need in the real world where people skills like taking the lead, emotional intelligence and a strong moral compass will determine who will shine....
* Disclaimer: Don’t fight it, live it. This is the summary of this post. But, please note, this is not intended for those who are living under extreme stress and unbearably tough conditions. The Essence Of Amor Fati: Instead of being over...
* How Children And Parents Think: In an ideal world, children would be our best friends, they would go to bed on time, eat without complaining, and grow up to be great professionals. Well, in the same world, an ideal parent would not be carrying a yardstick for...
* * Want To Listen To The Article Instead? * The Top 3 Ideas To Rethink And Reevaluate Your Life: Top 3 daily rituals you cannot live without. Top 3 pet peeves you want to discard. Top 3 inspiring stories you have heard. Top 3 ideas...
Questions, just ask!
Text or Call: 678.310.5025 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Bringing a Group? Email us for a special price!