The Courage To Be Authentic:
Here are a few important aspects of human behavior that get in the way of building courage and authenticity at the workplace.
a. Avoiding tough conversations, we try to be overtly nice and polite. There’s lack of clarity, and there’s the water cooler gossip.
b. Rather than acknowledging fear, we spend huge times managing problematic behaviors.
c. Diminishing trust caused by lack of connection and empathy.
d. Not enough of us are taking smart risks or sharing bold ideas. Fear of ridicule or failure.
e. We’re spending time defining our setbacks, failures et. We’re spending time on reassuring resources who’re questioning their value.
f. Too much shame and blame, no accountability and learning.
g. Opting out of conversations about diversity.
h. When something goes wrong, we’re not problem solving for the long term.
i. Organizational behavior is just aspirational.
j. Perfection is keeping us from learning and growing.
How To Build Courage:
I. Don’t seek psychological safety:
Feeling safe to take risks, no resentment, no backlash for feedback, embarrass, reject or punishments.
a. Ask questions
b. Seek feedback
c. Admit a mistake
d. Suggest a whacky solution.
4 Skills That Make Up Courage:
These are the 4 skills that can be taught, observed, measured.
a. Rumbling with vulnerability
b. Living into our values
c. Braving trust
d. Learning to rise
Works Cited: The above is an adapted excerpt from the book, Dare To Lead By Brené Brown
* * *
About The Article Author:
I see myself as an advocate for bringing social, emotional and character development to families, schools and communities. I never want to let this idea out of my sight – Our children are not just GPAs. I’m a Writer and a Certified Master Coach in NLP and CBT. Until 2017, I was also a Big Data Scientist. In December of 2044, I hope to win the Nobel. Namasté.
Write to me or call me. Tell me what support from me looks like.
Program Director & Essential Life Skills Coach for Kids and Busy Parents
The Future Of Work Is Now
The Non-Cognitive Skills Needed For The Future, Our Hybrid Work Life And Much More
If you’re not careful you can follow your passion right into poverty. ~ Srini Rao
Scrum Master | Agile Coach | PMP Certification Exam Prep And Interview – Questions And Answers Part III
* Continued From Part II HERE * Interview And Test Prep For Agile, Scrum And PMP Roles: QUES: What are the different sizing and estimation techniques in project management?ANS: See it's very difficult to estimate anything accurately, to tell...
Scrum Master | Agile Coach | PMP Certification Exam Prep And Interview – Questions And Answers Part II
* Continued From Part I HERE * Interview And Test Prep For Agile, Scrum And PMP Roles: QUES: What is gold plating and how can we prevent it?ANS: In a project when the work done after a point of time becomes irrelevant to an extent, whether...
* What Is STEM? According to Live Science, STEM is a combination of four academic disciplines: science, technology, engineering, and mathematics. These are critical to a child’s education and later adult development. While children tend to believe that...
* The Evolution Of Work: The workforce is going to be impacted by three major areas of change and growth. Workforce transformation: From Baby boomers to Gen Z, there are many generations now in the workforce working next to each other. Tech modernization And...
* When sitting, the electrical activity in our leg muscles shuts off, calorie consumption drops to one per minute, enzymes breaking down fat decrease by 90 percent and good cholesterol drops by approximately ten percent per hour of sitting. Sounds pretty...
* What Is Swatting: Swatting is the action or practice of making a prank call to emergency services in an attempt to bring about the dispatch of a large number of armed police officers to a particular address. “Swatting” is defined as a false report of an...
* What is CODING? • Code is the language of technology.• Code is what runs apps.• Code is what sent the Curiosity Rover to Mars.• Code is what's inside drones that sprayed Disinfectant on streets that were too dangerous for humans to walk around during Covid....
* Developing A Range Of Essential Life Skills: Helping children learn new skills is an essential part of their growth and development. Not only are the benefits of skill development immediate but what kids acquire at an early age can also be brought well into...
* Not Just A Hobby: You’re passionate about gaming and don’t want it to be just a hobby. You’re dreaming of creating your own video game and launching a career in the gaming industry. You’re not alone — millions of gamers around the world are in the same boat!...
Questions, just ask!
Text or Call: 678.310.5025 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Bringing a Group? Email us for a special price!