One of the best things about teaching is that children always challenge what we can do and how much we know as teachers. It’s their inherent curiosity and imagination that keeps them inquisitive about what we’re trying to help them learn.
Eric Schmidt, the CEO of Google, once said, “We run this company on questions, not answers.” Turns out, so much of great teaching is simply asking children questions so they respond and become in charge of their own learning. We never know what a child will conjure up and share unless we provide a question that allows for imagination, fosters reflection, pondering, and thinking aloud as an option rather than proposing a “correct” response.
Just as we’re asking our children questions, we must also encourage them to ask us what’s on their mind. Asking questions improves critical thinking, enhances creativity and eliminates confusion. Asking questions about their assumptions and beliefs can help children understand who they are, how the world works and what their own unique contributions to others can be.
This process also helps build trust, and fosters parent-child, caregiver-child, and teacher-student relationships. Imagine a child who is able to engage with caring adults in a safe setting, exploring his curiosity, asking questions and pondering about life in general. And here are some tips on how to answer questions.
1. Acknowledge the speaker.
2. Listen fully before responding.
3. Don’t discount any question as silly.
4. Address all potential aspects of the question.
5. Request feedback and continue discussion.
The 3 Minute Comprehensive Read on Critical Thinking:
Read it HERE.
* * *
About The Article Author:
Our mission with FutureSTRONG Academy – to grow children who respect themselves, their time and their capabilities in a world where distractions are just a click or a swipe away.
I see myself as an advocate for bringing social, emotional and character development to families, schools and communities. I never want to let this idea out of my sight – Our children are not just GPAs. I’m a Writer and a Certified Master Coach in NLP and CBT. Until 2017, I was also a Big Data Scientist. In December of 2044, I hope to win the Nobel. Namasté.
Write to me or call me. Tell me what support from me looks like.
Program Director & Essential Life Skills Coach for Kids and Busy Parents
Get The Skills
Skills You Will Need To Become A Great Problem Solver
Self Efficacy: How The Belief In Yourself Is The First Step Towards Goal Setting
* What Is Self Efficacy: The American Psychological Association defines Self-efficacy this way. "Self-efficacy refers to an individual's belief in his or her capacity to execute behaviors necessary to produce specific performance attainments (Bandura, 1977,...
Why Fear Death When It Can Be The Biggest Motivator Of All
* Our Relationship With Immortality: People who don’t know what to do on a lazy Sunday afternoon want to live forever. That’s the lure of immortality. All throughout our lives, we strive for wealth, fame, knowledge and happiness. We also long for immortality...
A To Z About Tech Behavioral Disorders, Managing Addictions, And Their Impact On Relationships And Productivity
* Our digital landscape is changing day after day. And here are some urgent burning questions along with their answers. Please click below to learn more. 1) Why is Technology Addiction or Digital Addiction a problem at all? Can’t I have my hobby or interest? 2)...
Why And How To Develop Resourcefulness
* It’s a fact that we will never have the time or the expertise to solve all of our problems. We must somehow then become creative with our problem solving capabilities. That's where the skill of resourcefulness comes into play. When we’re resourceful, we can...
Here’s How To Preserve A Keen Sense Of Wellbeing On A Daily Basis
* Let’s Define Wellbeing: As humans, we’re driven by this singular goal. What do you want in life? Ask anyone and surely most times it will be a “I just want to be happy!” So, let’s see how our happiness is determined by how we feel about ourselves on a daily...
Sometimes, The Punishment Doesn’t Have To Fit The Crime. It’s Time To Forgive Not Forget.
* As humans, we are naturally predisposed to being loving and compassionate. In this context, forgiveness is our path to being free. Don't believe me? Please, allow me to explain. Only when we experience evil, can we shine a light on our capacity to forgive....
Run, Hide Or Fight. Is That What Our Sweet America Has Come Down To?
* Our Nation Right Now: As I shopped at our local hardware store this morning, I was vary of fellow shoppers around me. I was watchful of the cars that were coming and going as I crossed the street from my parked car. There's something on my mind right now....
Training In Social Media Literacy Important Before Use Of Any Platform, Warns American Psychological Association (APA).
* https://youtu.be/p09IsNxhBxg * Want To Listen To The Article Instead? * Cited Works: https://www.apa.org/topics/social-media-internet/health-advisory-adolescent-social-media-use * How We Engage Online: Lack of...
What Is Cyberloafing And How Does It Impact Our Productivity At Life And Work?
* We’ve Been Click Baited: Cyberloafing is staying glued to the internet for hours on end. It is the act of searching and scrolling through content whether we have an urgent need for it or not. It is where we are searching for random things online. Chances are...
Hit Hard By Chronic Loneliness? Here’s How To Take Charge And Help Yourself.
The Antidote To Loneliness Yes, there is joy, fulfillment, and companionship, but the loneliness of the soul in its appalling self-consciousness is horrible and overpowering. ~ Sylvia Plath Questions, just ask! Text or Call: 678.310.5025 | Email:...
A Sustainable And Scientific Approach Handbook To Positive Productivity
* Recover Fast And Often: If you want to be a productivity machine, there are few things you will have to consider. The first one is the obvious mindset change. That, even if we get distracted for a few moments in a day, all is not lost. We literally can...
Every Child Can Live To Their Ultimate Potential. Help Them With The 3 B’s.
* Early from childhood, our live and our circumstances determine our inherent human potential. For us to become productive and contributing members of society, there are three key factors that should work in our favor. The 3 B’s of reaching our highest...
Questions, just ask!
Text or Call: 678.310.5025 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Bringing a Group? Email us for a special price!