Teens, Tech And Addictions:
The research is clear on this issue. Being available 24/7 for our devices and technology is hurting our mental and physical health. Offline, when we want to get some work done in the real world, our FOMO (fear of missing out) is leading to stress and emotional exhaustion.
80% Of all teens are on some social media platform. (Howard, 2018) Approx. 50% of kids in the US have a social media account by age 12. (Knorr, 2018) Teens who spend excessive amounts browsing reels and stories of their peers are suffering bullying, body image issues and other traumatic experiences.
Teens who post want to post perfect images and at a time of the day when they’re most likely to get the most number of likes. Some pictures gather as many as 400 likes within a few hours of posting. Who are these teens who are claiming to have 100’s of friends online?
Eight graders who spend 6 hours a week or more on social media are 47% more likely to say they are unhappy. (Twenge, 2017)
Snapchat brags on its website that its daily active users open the app on average 25 times a day.
Here To Stay:
What’s clear over the past 15 years is that social media, the internet and our increasing dependency on technology is here to stay. So, its upto us to figure out how we are going to stay relevant, productive and responsible around technology.
The mental health profession’s guide to psychological disorders is the DSM – Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, and it hasn’t officially ruled the addiction of internet as a diagnosable disease. But along with China, many other countries have started recognizing video game addiction as “Internet Gaming Disorder”.
There are 4 major repercussions of over use of technology.
1. Increase in anxiety.
2. Decrease in our ability to attend and focus for extended periods of time.
4. New found ability to be unable to talk to anyone face to face.
~ Dr. Larry Rosen, The Distracted mind: Ancient brains in a high-tech world.
Even if it feels like kids, teens and adults are acting as addicts in front of their devices, there is hope. And it starts with recognizing that we, as adults, have a choice when it comes to using our precious time and resources. And that it is not the complete lack of self-control on our children’s part that they are tethered to their devices.
If you’re a parent of a teen, find out more on the Rules of Engagement With Social Media for Teens.
Social Media And Its Collateral Damage On Teens:
* * *
About The Article Author:
I see myself as an advocate for bringing social, emotional and character development to families, schools and communities. I never want to let this idea out of my sight – Our children are not just GPAs. I’m a Writer and a Certified Master Coach in NLP and CBT. Until 2017, I was also a Big Data Scientist. In December of 2044, I hope to win the Nobel. Namasté.
Write to me or call me. Tell me what support from me looks like.
Program Director & Essential Life Skills Coach for Kids and Busy Parents
The Digital Literacy Project: Disrupting humanity's technology addiction habits one truth at a time.
* https://youtu.be/T-pm87uYF40 * Want To Listen To The Article Instead? * Works Cited: https://www.euronews.com/next/2023/11/22/meet-the-first-spanish-ai-model-earning-up-to-10000-per-month...
Scrum Master | Agile Coach | PMP Certification Exam Prep And Interview – Questions And Answers Part II
* Continued From Part I HERE * Interview And Test Prep For Agile, Scrum And PMP Roles: QUES: What is gold plating and how can we prevent it?ANS: In a project when the work done after a point of time becomes irrelevant to an extent, whether...
* Continued From Part II: Check it out HERE. * For Many Tiktok Needs No Introduction: In this attention economy, there's no bigger lure for children, teens and adults like Tiktok. It's an app that promises to showcase your creativity serving it up...
* Continued From Part I: Check it out HERE. * Discovering On Snapchat: Yes, we are in the digital age, and kids will have to find ways for social integration online. Yes, it is inevitable. But, one of the most useless apps on the planet can be...
Part I: Part II: Part III: Part IV: For Your Spiritual, Mental And Psychological Wellness Here Are Free Resources For Children, Teens, Adults And ParentsQuestions, just ask! Text or Call: 678.310.5025 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Bringing a Group?...
* Busyness Is Not Productivity: The internet has no ending, so is it a battle we won't win? Not necessarily. We just have to be intentional and vigilant about our use of our devices and time. There is always new information whenever we get onto the internet....
The Ultimate Do’s And Don’ts Of Your Daily Speed And Efficiency – A Blue Print Of Productivity That Works
* DON'TS: There are many things we must not be doing in addition to be doing if we want to be productive in our daily lives. Here are a few things that we can add to our "Do not do" list 😉 Don't pretend like you've got everything under control especially when...
Questions, just ask!
Text or Call: 678.310.5025 | Email: email@example.com
Bringing a Group? Email us for a special price!