1. First, go analog. Use good old-fashioned pencil and paper to doodle, to scribble, and to play games.
2. Use a barrier. Create a physical barrier between your child and their devices. Even a few inches can make a big difference. A portable lap desk, or even book or a cushion if it comes to that.
3. Instead of on person, ask them to carry their phones in their handbags or backpacks. Always use headphones or speaker mode for calls. This has to be a non-negotiable for our kids.
4. When not in use, use airplane mode. Especially in moving cars when cell phones are working extra hard to get a hold of the nearest tower. Ask them to play games which don’t need Wi-Fi or a cell signal.
5. There is absolutely no place for a cell phone after 9:30pm. Read about the relationship between circadian rhythms, melatonin and health.
6. Make sure that the Wi-Fi router is not near the kids play area or living area in the house.
7. Avoid other tech products that claim to reduce or block these harmful radiation frequencies. They might actually aid to make the problem bigger.
Among the AAP recommendations: American Academy of Pediatrics Announces New Recommendations for Children’s Media Use.
For children younger than 18 months, avoid use of screen media other than video-chatting. Parents of children 18 to 24 months of age who want to introduce digital media should choose high-quality programming, and watch it with their children to help them understand what they’re seeing.
For children ages 2 to 5 years, limit screen use to 1 hour per day of high-quality programs. Parents should co-view media with children to help them understand what they are seeing and apply it to the world around them.
For children ages 6 and older, place consistent limits on the time spent using media, and the types of media, and make sure media does not take the place of adequate sleep, physical activity and other behaviors essential to health.
California Department Of Public Health:
How to Reduce Exposure to Radiofrequency Energy from Cell Phones: Read it HERE.
* * *
“The truth about mobile phone and wireless radiation” — Dr Devra Davis
Watch to find out the possible link between radio frequency energy that’s emitted by the cell phone and acoustic melanomas, brain tumors. Research also suggests learning problems, sleep problems, low sperm count in men.
* * *