A Nation Addicted To Hyper Consumerism:
America has little over 3% of the children in the world but have 40% of toys. Children are being introduced to brands at a young age. Shopping is convenient – at the click of a button, available 24/7.
First, there’s the physical excesses of techno materialism that’s clouding our real needs as humans. Between too many choices, too many gadgets and too many toys at our disposal, we’re losing our essential core as humans.
As of 2018, Americans were sitting on 33 billion dollars’ worth of unused tech and that’s taking space in our homes, hearts and causing cortisol spikes.
Next, there are the text and social media notifications, the apps to check out, the new videos on YouTube, the podcasts to listen to, the next levels to reach in games and inboxes clogged with email we never get to in a timely manner anyway.
This is how we continue to collect physical and mental clutter, day after day, week after week filling up our garages and our brains. We hold things for sentimental value and sad thoughts because we can’t let go.
How Materialism Sabotages Our Values:
“Materialistic kids have lower grades, and higher rates of depression and substance abuse than non-materialistic kids. They are less philanthropic and feel dissatisfied with what they have.” – Madeline Levine, 2006
The problem is with all this real and digital clutter, we’re forgetting that we have enough to begin with.
When we prioritize money, fame and possessions over other fulfilling aspects of life, it creates a paucity of time. Because we are constantly competing with others to level up, we feel exhausted and burnt out. It’s better to understand how others think and aspire as success and if it fits into our definition of what makes a great life.
We often wait for #GivingTuesday after our Cyber Monday of sales or our birthdays on Facebook to ask for donations to give to a charity. But, for giving something, shouldn’t we first get (buy or acquire) it? Unless, it’s our time for our loved ones. Drones are dropping off packages at our front doors, but HOW MANY of those do we really want?
How Much Is Really Enough?
We want to be happy with another car, with another spouse or with another internet service provider. On a daily basis, we use our expectations on our children and others as a gauge of our happiness. But how can anything that’s impermanent be a source of permanent happiness?
Material consumption can bring us happiness, but after a while, we’re back to craving that dopamine rush of excitement once again. We continue to consume more because the threshold of bliss is not being met. No wonder, Materialism is expecting the everlasting from the never lasting.
Remember, we have a choice to pick clarity over clutter. Giving up can only mean more time and more freedom. And, why can’t we just be happy, in the awareness of gratitude for life that has brought us here?
Bottom line, if anything, our time in quarantine can be a great opportunity to radically simplify our lives. Cue. Are we missing material things or the laughter of our friends and the hugs of our loved ones?
* * *
About The Article Author:
Our mission with FutureSTRONG Academy – to grow children who respect themselves, their time and their capabilities in a world where distractions are just a click or a swipe away.
I see myself as an advocate for bringing social, emotional and character development to families, schools and communities. I never want to let this idea out of my sight – Our children are not just GPAs. I’m a Writer and a Certified Master Coach in NLP and CBT. Until 2017, I was also a Big Data Scientist. In December of 2044, I hope to win the Nobel. Namasté.
Write to me or call me. Tell me what support from me looks like.
Program Director & Essential Life Skills Coach for Kids and Busy Parents
The Skill Of People Management And Conflict Resolution
COLLABORATION - A Pillar of FutureSTRONG Academy
Our children will one day face the real world without our support. Academic development is not the only skill they will need in the real world where people skills like taking the lead, emotional intelligence and a strong moral compass will determine who will shine. So, as parents who want to raise well rounded adults, we want to give them the right tools for their personal development.
Here is COLLABORATION as described as the 6 C’s of Future STRONG.
Find Below Better Strategies On COLLABORATION
Understanding Relationship Etiquette In A World Of Faceless Usernames And Two Dimensional Emojis
* How We Learnt FOMO: Listen, I have nothing against technology. I can turn on and off the lights in my house from 200 miles away if I need to. During the pandemic, we bought a new car without ever stepping out of the house. What’s more, I don't have to wait...
Why And How To Develop Resourcefulness
* It’s a fact that we will never have the time or the expertise to solve all of our problems. We must somehow then become creative with our problem solving capabilities. That's where the skill of resourcefulness comes into play. When we’re resourceful, we can...
Hit Hard By Chronic Loneliness? Here’s How To Take Charge And Help Yourself.
The Antidote To Loneliness Yes, there is joy, fulfillment, and companionship, but the loneliness of the soul in its appalling self-consciousness is horrible and overpowering. ~ Sylvia Plath Questions, just ask! Text or Call: 678.310.5025 | Email:...
A Sustainable And Scientific Approach Handbook To Positive Productivity
* Recover Fast And Often: If you want to be a productivity machine, there are few things you will have to consider. The first one is the obvious mindset change. That, even if we get distracted for a few moments in a day, all is not lost. We literally can...
Become A Guest Blogger For Us. Here, Read Posts From Some Awesome Writers.
Read Below Posts From Our Awesome Guest Bloggers Write For Us And Inspire People To Action!Questions, just ask! Text or Call: 678.310.5025 | Email: email@example.com Bringing a Group? Email us for a special price!
Whether It’s A Side Gig Or A Business, Here Are Strategies For Every Entrepreneur
Find Out How To Become An Entrepreneur Questions, just ask! Text or Call: 678.310.5025 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Bringing a Group? Email us for a special price!
Generation Z, Those Born Between 1995 & 2015, Has Entered The Workforce. Are They Ready For It?
* Times Are Changing: This is what we were hearing from companies in 2019 about their top 5 soft skills they needed the most. 1. Creativity2. Persuasion3. Collaboration4. Adaptability5. Time ManagementSource: LinkedIn, 2019 Times have changed post...
4 Business Start-up Steps For Young Entrepreneurs In 2023
* Timeless Strategies For Young Entrepreneurs: For young entrepreneurs, starting a business can be a nerve-wracking experience. However, with the right mindset and sound planning, you’ll be able to turn your business idea into a successful venture. In this...
Have You Tiktoked It Yet? This Kind Of Social, Is It Trendy Or Just Toxic?
* https://youtu.be/BbMx1n7vBeo * Want To Listen To The Article Instead? * Have You Tiktoked It Yet? As Found on the internet: Young people are turning to TikTok rather than Google as a search engine. ‘I’ll TikTok it’ has already...
7 Action Packed Steps To Prepare For Entrepreneurship
* A Path For Successful Entrepreneurship: For many, entrepreneurship is an exciting adventure that can be quite rewarding. But if you’re serious about launching your own business, there are a few essential steps that must be taken to set yourself up for...
The Journey Of Our Life Can Be One That’s Filled With A Purpose. Here’s How To Find It.
* Grounds To Thrive: I keep looking around at those who are on their way to understanding their calling and their true potential in life. It is easy to understand that the pursuit of self-actualization is not possible without the basics in life - safety and...
Want To Crush It In Life? Start With These Thoughts That Will Help You Shine.
* Below are a few quotes, they will bend your mind, help you shut out the chatter and give your mind a steady purpose. Ever wonder why that persistent monologue in our head seems to be out there to get us? It doesn't allow us to celebrate our wins whole...
Questions, just ask!
Text or Call: 678.310.5025 | Email: email@example.com
Bringing a Group? Email us for a special price!