Neglectful, Abusive, And Distracted Parenting:
There are ways we all know are “wrong” ways to parent.
There’s the physical, emotional and psychological abuse and neglect where a child is literally not cared for in an unconditional and safe environment, is never or rarely shown any signs of affection and has no basic rights for surviving.
But there are scores of ways to raise them in a healthy way. Questioning ourselves if we’re doing the right thing and course correcting as situations arise. Staying relevant by listening to them actively and understand their immediate needs for being able to thrive.
Raising them not just to chase happiness and success these concepts are abstract and relative to the person chasing them, but to raise them to face failures and keep trying to meet their goals.
For Parents Fighting Distractions:
Imagine dinner time at home and how you’re barking orders for everyone to come to the dinner table, but no one shows up. Let’s turn the tables, and now it’s you on your device and your children are trying their best to grab your attention.
As busy parents, we must constantly evolve if we have to stay relevant to modern times. And so must our digital habits. When we engage with our phones and not with our surroundings and the people around us, we’re signaling to our impressionable children that their surroundings and their friends are not that important or interesting.
Here are a few questions we can ask ourselves to stay in the present moment rather than getting sucked into our screens all times of the day.
1. Am I looking for something, could I be doing something meaningful at this moment?
2. Am I letting the virtual world keep me company most times of the day?
3. Am I do everything in my capacity to stay distraction free?
How To Forgive Ourselves And Move On:
As pandemic parents, the competing priorities of our professions and our personal lives are making us unhappy. That’s because we can’t accept anything less than to live up to our perfect expectations of ourselves. Every one of us is going through bouts of regret for our lack of mindfulness around our kids on a daily basis.
What we fail to understand is that we can temporarily forget what’s not working, to focus on the bliss of the present moment. The best part is that we redeem ourselves once we start to make small amends along the way.
Not all is lost. Because consider this for a minute. When we tell our children that we love them for who they are and not just for what they are capable of, they begin to respect themselves. And as parents, that’s our first step too. To give unconditional permission to love ourselves first.
And the best part is our children are always waiting for our attention and our nurture. They never judge and want to see us happy.
Here are things we can do with our children at home:
In the mornings:
- Encourage them to make their bed.
- Say goodbyes.
And not forget to ask: What do you plan to do today?
In the evenings:
- Fold laundry.
- Ride a bike.
- Read to them.
- Be there, do everything together.
And not forget to ask: How was your day today?
* * *
About The Article Author:
Our mission with FutureSTRONG Academy – to grow children who respect themselves, their time and their capabilities in a world where distractions are just a click or a swipe away.
I see myself as an advocate for bringing social, emotional and character development to families, schools and communities. I never want to let this idea out of my sight – Our children are not just GPAs. I’m a Writer and a Certified Master Coach in NLP and CBT. Until 2017, I was also a Big Data Scientist. In December of 2044, I hope to win the Nobel. Namasté.
Write to me or call me. Tell me what support from me looks like.
Program Director & Essential Life Skills Coach for Kids and Busy Parents
Parenting For a Digital Future
Check Out Our Latest In Mindful Parenting!
Whether It’s A Side Gig Or A Business, Here Are Strategies For Every Entrepreneur
Find Out How To Become An Entrepreneur Questions, just ask! Text or Call: 678.310.5025 | Email: email@example.com Bringing a Group? Email us for a special price!
Teens Need Self-Advocacy Skills To Thrive In The Real World. Parents Stop Helping Them.
* Questions To Ask To Teach Them Self-Advocacy: It should come as no surprise that, the more a child can self-advocate for themselves during their developmental years under our care, the better they thrive outside in the real world of college and job later on....
Peer And Parental Expectations. How Not To Crush Your Child’s Self Confidence And Self Esteem.
* Self Confidence Vs. Self Esteem? Wikipedia: The concept of self-confidence is commonly used as self-assurance in one's personal judgment, abilities, power, etc. The definition of self confidence of a child is not unilateral. Its determined based on a...
Before Decluttering Or Marie Condo-ing, Let’s Find The Roots Of Our Hyper Consumerism
* https://youtu.be/qk4IE5mbYi0 * Want To Listen To The Article Instead? * How To Declutter Your Headspace And Arrive To CLARITY Check the resource HERE. * * * Our mission with FutureSTRONG Academy – to grow...
A Guide To Addiction And Recovery For BIPOC – How Different Cultures Cope
* * * Please call and talk to someone. You ARE precious. * American National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (NSPL): Suicide is the second leading cause of death for young people between 10 to 24. If you're anyone contemplating suicide, please know...
4 Business Start-up Steps For Young Entrepreneurs In 2023
* Timeless Strategies For Young Entrepreneurs: For young entrepreneurs, starting a business can be a nerve-wracking experience. However, with the right mindset and sound planning, you’ll be able to turn your business idea into a successful venture. In this...
Have You Tiktoked It Yet? This Kind Of Social, Is It Trendy Or Just Toxic?
* https://youtu.be/BbMx1n7vBeo * Want To Listen To The Article Instead? * Have You Tiktoked It Yet? As Found on the internet: Young people are turning to TikTok rather than Google as a search engine. ‘I’ll TikTok it’ has already...
7 Action Packed Steps To Prepare For Entrepreneurship
* A Path For Successful Entrepreneurship: For many, entrepreneurship is an exciting adventure that can be quite rewarding. But if you’re serious about launching your own business, there are a few essential steps that must be taken to set yourself up for...
The Journey Of Our Life Can Be One That’s Filled With A Purpose. Here’s How To Find It.
* Grounds To Thrive: I keep looking around at those who are on their way to understanding their calling and their true potential in life. It is easy to understand that the pursuit of self-actualization is not possible without the basics in life - safety and...
There Are Two Reasons Why Children And Teens Misbehave. Find Out Now.
* The Underlying Reasons: There are two primary reasons why children misbehave. 1. They want attention. They want to feel recognized and their existence valid. If they are not getting enough nurture or care from their care givers, they don't understand why they...
Are Teenagers Really Narcissistic? Let’s Find Out.
* Teens Or Self Absorbed Hedonists? Teenagers are the most adaptive and private members of any age group. They quickly create and break friendships, join fashions, and demonstrate fierce allegiance to any political or popular ideology. Teenagers adore their...
The Dangers Of Comparison Traps And Helping Our Teens Lower Their Unrealistic Standards
* Choices Vs. Decisions: Usually, the main reason why we don’t like to make a choice quickly is because we fear missing out on the best option available or regretting our choice we make now. Also, how can we choose when we might need everything that is being...
The Complete Resource Guide To Rehab And Recovery For All Kinds Of Addictions
Addiction Rehab And Recovery For Teens, Adults And ParentsQuestions, just ask! Text or Call: 678.310.5025 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Bringing a Group? Email us for a special price!
Aiming For Perfection Takes Us Away From The Now. Learn To Enjoy What Is.
* What Is Perfectionism: Perfectionism is the belief that if we live perfect, look perfect, and act perfect, we can minimize or avoid the pain of blame, judgment and shame. Perfectionism, in psychology, is a personality trait characterized by a person's...
Don’t Give Them Answers. Instead, Ask Powerful Questions To Coach And Lead Your Children.
* Don't Ask Closed Questions: Here are a few questions that require no elaboration. These kind of questions are called Closed questions. Closed questions are usually easy to answer as the choice of answer is typically a yes or no. And we all know that powerful...
How To Help Children Who Are Perfectionists?
* Tell your child they are loved because of who they are not because of who they can become. Encourage them to worry less and try better next time. Explain to them that excellence is a moving goal post and one must a. Inculcate a growth mindsetb. Find...
More Than Violence And Hunger, This Is What Hurts Children Emotionally
* The Still Face Experiment: Years ago, there was an experiment that was conducted by an American Developmental Psychologist named Edward Tronik called the Still Face experiment. Children as young as 1 year old are put in front of their mother who suddenly in...
Students Come With A Lot Of Learning Barriers. Greeting Them At The Door Helps.
* Priming For A Day Of Learning: Many children might enter the classroom with a variety of learning barriers. Some children come hungry, some after facing a tough morning with their bickering parents and some without any supporting resources or caring adults...
Questions, just ask!
Text or Call: 678.310.5025 | Email: email@example.com
Bringing a Group? Email us for a special price!