Cabin Fever is the restlessness one experiences in forced isolation especially in confined spaces.
Before Corona hit, we were starting to live fragmented and lonely lives. We were happy staying indoors all day with our phones and devices. Playgrounds stayed pristine because we didn’t have any use for them anymore.
So, why is this Corona Quarantine turning out to be so unbearable? Simple. This form of public isolation is being forced upon us threatening our free will to do whatever we’re usually allowed to do.
The Power in Connection:
Imagine if we were building a career with a single minded goal. We might feel productive at the end of the day but our uni-dimensional life will not be fun at all. Without incorporating leisure and creativity and pursuing what we enjoy, and creating a well rounded life, we will not be truly happy.
That’s where we can leverage the power of connection. By connecting with others, we can share our gifts and positively change their lives. We can share our predicaments and our sorrows and feel better. Connection to our fellow living beings, humans and animals, brings meaning and purpose into our lives. It impacts us and enables us to contribute to higher goals. We become capable of spreading hope, love and happiness all around. Imagine, if each and everyone of us was doing that, what it would do to our world’s collective happiness index?
Belong, Matter and Contribute:
Each one of us wants to equally make an impact, add value and matter to others. We thrive in sharing gratitude, finding our unique voice, setting our expectations, being acknowledged for our strengths, and making meaningful relationships. When we inquire, be curious and ask questions, we make others feel valued and vice versa.
This is all of us as one humanity, driven by the same needs. The feeling of belonging, the need to matter, and a cause to impact and give.
Then, How Do We Survive Forced Isolation?
Ok, we’ve established what Cabin Fever is. Now let’s check some facts. Corona is an infectious virus and isolation seems to be the only way out as far as not contracting it.
- We can’t get away without interacting with the ones in our house.
- Some of us are double agents now, working at home while caring for our children.
So, we might as well learn how to cope with this solitude that’s upon us for the foreseeable future.
Adapting the Coping Mindset:
If this is anything like the collective grief / inconvenience (for most of us not on the front line), we must quickly get to the 5th stage in Grief management – ACCEPTANCE. The other stages before it being: Denial, Anger, Bargaining and Depression. Here’s a few thoughts that can help us ACCEPT our situation.
- There’s no known finish (time)line.
- Teachers around the world are trying their best to teach our children through digital learning methods.
- No two temperaments are going to be the same of those of us stuck at home with each other.
- Let’s agree on expectations and give one another slack.
- Communicate how you’re feeling and don’t leave room for speculation on feelings and emotions.
- For most of us, lucky ones, our situations are just a little more than an inconvenience right now.
- I will use this time to clean up my closet, organize my folder, finish up tasks I’ve not had a chance to do in my otherwise busy life.
- This might be a terrific opportunity to learn a new skill or upskill myself!
Finally, finally, this is the big one!
Why are we self quarantining ourselves, why?
Remembering the rationale and the whole purpose behind this madness, will surely help us get through this.
Team work and isolation is the only thing that will help us get through this without (literally) killing each other.
Here’s how we can preserve our Personal wellbeing during Pandemics
Cut yourself some Corona Slack so you come out of this reenergized!
* * *
About The Article Author:
I see myself as an advocate for bringing social, emotional and character development to families, schools and communities. I never want to let this idea out of my sight – Our children are not just GPAs. I’m a Writer and a Certified Master Coach in NLP and CBT. Until 2017, I was also a Big Data Scientist. In December of 2044, I hope to win the Nobel. Namasté.
Write to me or call me. Tell me what support from me looks like.
Program Director & Essential Life Skills Coach for Kids and Busy Parents
For Your Spiritual, Mental And Psychological Wellness
Here Are Free Resources For Children, Teens, Adults And Parents
* https://youtu.be/rMW3s2z9oss * Want To Listen To The Article Instead? * Works Cited: https://twitter.com/brokeymcpoverty/status/1017098515347066880 * * * What Will You Do? If you've got one chance to make a dent in...
* The areas in which a human self-sabotages himself or herself on a daily basis are endless. Judgement, anxiety, fear, regret, stress, shame, grace, expectations, perfection, self-doubt, bias, vices, time management etc. and so much more. * Cultivate...
* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOJ3Es4R3ag * Want To Listen To The Article Instead? * Cited Works: https://www.themarginalian.org/2020/05/17/yes-to-life-in-spite-of-everything-viktor-frankl/...
* Part I: Why Practice Meditation: Find it HERE. * How To Purify The Mind: The philosophy of Vedanta teaches us that perfection is our true nature. But, if we're inherently perfect why don't we feel that way at all times. As we have discussed,...
* The question that often arises about meditation is why meditate? For that we have to understand the essence of Vedanta: Aham Brahmasmi - My nature is infinite. If that is true, how can we prove it? We often use identification theory to understand the world...
Questions, just ask!
Text or Call: 678.310.5025 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Bringing a Group? Email us for a special price!