A Virtual World For “Me”:
Being on(line) means – we must add value, always be available, be current and also flawless. While we perfect ourselves, we must also capture our journey on a public stage. We must belong in the world, in the big scheme of life. We must somehow matter.
And what more validation to that sentiment than a cell phone in our hands which seems to be in our control – after all, it sleeps only when you say so, doesn’t it?
There are two platforms that offer us visibility and recognition that we crave. These two avenues gives us unlimited freedom to indulge in the concept that is core to our identity – us. And they are, Social media and selfies.
A Generation Of Only Self Portraits:
- We all want to make an impact in our own way. Selfies empower us because we can control how our self image is projected onto the world.
- We get to tell our story with the backdrop of a location, food or event and convey who we are.
- In the context of a permanent picture, we can change your glamorous perception of ourselves into a reality.
- The likes we get will further validate our self worth. (The opposite – not getting enough likes will have an equally disastrous result to our self esteem.)
Here’s Why Social Media Is So Addictive:
- It feels empowering and participatory.
- It feels like it enhances our expression of individuality.
- While TV makes us inert, social media makes us form our own opinions.
- It lets us speak our mind via opining on our (Facebook) walls.
- We can signal goods to show our standing in society. Just look at Kylie Jenner’s Instagram feed if you want to know what I mean.
- It meets the unsatisfying need of the endless scroll, unlike books that have a last page. Its designed to be addictive in the same way Netflix and YouTube have autoplay functionality in them. And how Snapchats have streaks to make people keep posting stories daily to maintain their streak.
- Young adults post sexually arousing selfies, making them part of the thirst trap excitement.
We’re at the mercy of the volatile reputation of social networks that we’re not in control of. We’re all seeking approvals from others by changing our online persona. As a result, our self identity is skewed, who are we really?
Imagine what it is doing to teens who’re in the developmental phase of forming their self worth and their identity in the world as emerging adults. Are we ready to make this iGeneration collateral by allowing Big Tech to experiment on us?
Social Media Etiquette For Teens
* * *
About The Article Author:
Our mission with FutureSTRONG Academy – to grow children who respect themselves, their time and their capabilities in a world where distractions are just a click or a swipe away.
I see myself as an advocate for bringing social, emotional and character development to families, schools and communities. I never want to let this idea out of my sight – Our children are not just GPAs. I’m a Writer and a Certified Master Coach in NLP and CBT. Until 2017, I was also a Big Data Scientist. In December of 2044, I hope to win the Nobel. Namasté.
Write to me or call me. Tell me what support from me looks like.
Program Director & Essential Life Skills Coach for Kids and Busy Parents
The Digital Literacy Project: Disrupting humanity’s technology addiction habits one truth at a time.
Truth About Technology – A Digital Literacy Project
Teens, Technology And Life Skills To Thrive – A Handbook For Sustainability
* Teens, Tech and Life Skills: These days, little girls and boys are acting as therapists and counselors for their friends who’re struggling to navigate school. Teens are experiencing anxiety and panic attacks at an alarming rate. The American College Health...
How To Turn Your Passion for Video Games Into a Flourishing Career
* Not Just A Hobby: You’re passionate about gaming and don’t want it to be just a hobby. You’re dreaming of creating your own video game and launching a career in the gaming industry. You’re not alone — millions of gamers around the world are in the same boat!...
Let’s Understand The Science And The Psychology Behind Our Tech Addictions
* Why We Can't Put Our Phones Down: Our brains are social organs, and we thrive on connection. What separates us from animals is our desire to belong, our desire to matter and to make an impact in the world. We see our identities in relation to how others...
Have You Tiktoked It Yet? This Kind Of Social, Is It Trendy Or Just Toxic?
* https://youtu.be/BbMx1n7vBeo * Want To Listen To The Article Instead? * Have You Tiktoked It Yet? As Found on the internet: Young people are turning to TikTok rather than Google as a search engine. ‘I’ll TikTok it’ has already...
Aiming For Perfection Takes Us Away From The Now. Learn To Enjoy What Is.
* What Is Perfectionism: Perfectionism is the belief that if we live perfect, look perfect, and act perfect, we can minimize or avoid the pain of blame, judgment and shame. Perfectionism, in psychology, is a personality trait characterized by a person's...
A Comprehensive List Of Social, Criminal, Physical and Mental Disorders Due To Tech Addiction
* There are 4 major repercussions of over use of technology. 1. Increase in anxiety.2. Decrease in our ability to attend and focus for extended periods of time.3. Boredom.4. New found ability to be unable to talk to anyone face to face. ~ Dr. Larry Rosen,...
The Future Of Information, Knowledge Workers And The Workspace
* Understanding Information And Knowledge: Knowledge is becoming cheaper and less important. In the near future, nobody will hire us because of what we know. We will be hired for our abilities to think, create and solve problems with what we know. So, in this...
The Tools Of The Future Are Here – Explore The Generative AI Landscape
Open Your Mind, Grow Your Brain! Hey everyone welcome!Here are some FREE (most of them!) resources that will help you level up in your PERSONAL and PROFESSIONAL life! Build Your Potential. BECOME UNSTOPPABLE!* * * Generative AI Tools: There's not one...
Top 4 Social Media Fails That Lead Employees To Get Canned From Companies
* * Want To Listen To The Article Instead? * Cited Works: https://sba.thehartford.com/managing-employees/employees-getting-canned-over-social-media/ * The Future Of Work And The Role Of Non-Cognitive Skills: Read more...
Reclaim Your Productivity By Going On A Digital Diet – A Rotary Club Initiative On Tech Addiction
* Digital Wellbeing Workshop: Part I https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sES8nDx-MI Workshop Description: Experts in the field of addiction are divided as to whether Internet Addiction Disorder is really a true clinical dependence or simply a social...
Find Out All The Signs Of Technology Addiction
* Signs Of Something Terrible: Around the house, and around you, there can be unmistakable signs of tech addiction. You have no interest in what's happening around you. You're lying to yourself about how much you use your phone. The first obvious sign is that...
Disconnect To Reconnect – Digital Dieting: Candid Conversation with Rachana by Girijaa D
* Digital Wellbeing Workshop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfcKkto1LAA Workshop Description: Are we a generation of “Digiholics” ? How is technology addiction debilitating and disruptive to our professional and personal well-being? What are the...
Questions, just ask!
Text or Call: 678.310.5025 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Bringing a Group? Email us for a special price!