What is SECD?
Ask any parent, and they will tell you that the values of integrity and the ability to stand on their own two feet are some of the most important things they want for their child’s future. They want children to learn to manage their emotions, build positive relationships and navigate social situations with ease both in career and real life.
SECD, Social, Emotional and Character Development – is an an essential form of education to help raise children into adults who are caring, responsible and contributing and thrive in the real and online worlds.
SECD is a set of skills that involve the capacity to develop self awareness, recognize and regulate emotions, become resilient to failures, and think like a problem solver. In addition to developing a winning personal skill set, children learn to understand emotions in others, collaborate with them while building their negotiating and networking skills. In short, SECD helps children by empowering them with new ways to think, learn and behave.
In the current environment where children are growing up in both the real and online worlds, SECD seems more relevant than ever before. Families, schools and communities that invest in developing an executable and scalable framework of SECD from prekindergarten through high school can ensure a future where children are much tolerant, don’t rely on drugs and alcohol and stay motivated on a course to their positive goals and life purpose.
Machines that we’re building using our spectacular Science, Math and Engineering skills are dictating how we must think, feel and act. Remember, this was our unique value proposition as humans to begin with – our mind – that can help us think, feel and act and we’re allowing tech distractions to cloud over it. Academic skills like Science and Math are easily replicated, but qualities like empathy, perseverance, courage, commitment and hard work are deeply personal and what makes every human unique.
For some children whether from low income homes where their world is unreliable, and filled with trauma and abuse, or for children from high income families whose parents are busy and their lives are filled with neglect, community places like schools can be the only happy place to be. By ensuring we are equipping them with tools that can help them navigate intimidation, violence and deprivation, we can ensure to build resilient yet happy children who develop the will to live upto their full potential.
What makes a Whole Child?
The SECD Skill Set:
Both INSIDE and OUTSIDE of classrooms, the development of life skills help children with these learning objectives:
- Develop Self Confidence and a Positive Outlook
- Prioritize Tasks Without Losing Momentum
- Recognize and Regulate Emotions
- Develop Gratitude
- Learn to Listen First
- Manage Time, Stress and Relationships
- Think Critically and Make Responsible Decisions
- Work Towards Cooperation and Collaboration
- Develop Resilience and Problem Solving
SECD and the Habits of Success:
Habits of Success “collectively facilitate goal-directed effort (e.g., grit, self-control, growth mindset), healthy social relationships (e.g., gratitude, emotional intelligence, social belonging), and sound judgment and decision making (e.g., curiosity, open-mindedness). Longitudinal research has confirmed such qualities powerfully predict academic, economic, social, psychological, and physical well-being.”
Source: Almlund, Duckworth, Heckman, & Kautz, 2011; Borghans, Duckworth, Heckman, & ter Weel,2008; Farrington et al., 2012; Jackson, Connolly, Garrison, Levin, & Connolly, 2015; Moffitt et al., 2011; Naemi et al., 2012; Yeager & Walton, 2011; Duckworth and Yeager, 2015.
The Foundation Pillars of SECD:
Academic development is not the only skill children will need in the real world where people skills like taking the lead, emotional intelligence and a strong moral compass will determine who will shine. So, as parents who want to raise well rounded adults, we have to give them the right tools for their social, emotional and personal character development. Here are the pillars of 6 C’s that can lay a strong foundation.
About The Article Author:
Our mission with FutureSTRONG Academy – to grow children who respect themselves, their time and their capabilities in a world where distractions are just a click or a swipe away.
I see myself as an advocate for bringing social, emotional and character development to families, schools and communities. I never want to let this idea out of my sight – Our children are not just GPAs. I’m a Writer and a Certified Master Coach in NLP and CBT. Until 2017, I was also a Big Data Scientist. In December of 2044, I hope to win the Nobel. Namasté.
Write to me or call me. Tell me what support from me looks like.
Program Director & Essential Life Skills Coach for Kids and Busy Parents
The A to Z Of Life Skills
Check Out Our Featured Articles!
Teens, Technology And Life Skills To Thrive – A Handbook For Sustainability
* Teens, Tech and Life Skills: These days, little girls and boys are acting as therapists and counselors for their friends who’re struggling to navigate school. Teens are experiencing anxiety and panic attacks at an alarming rate. The American College Health...
Generation Z, Those Born Between 1995 & 2015, Has Entered The Workforce. Are They Ready For It?
* Times Are Changing: This is what we were hearing from companies in 2019 about their top 5 soft skills they needed the most. 1. Creativity2. Persuasion3. Collaboration4. Adaptability5. Time ManagementSource: LinkedIn, 2019 Times have changed post...
There Are Two Reasons Why Children And Teens Misbehave. Find Out Now.
* The Underlying Reasons: There are two primary reasons why children misbehave. 1. They want attention. They want to feel recognized and their existence valid. If they are not getting enough nurture or care from their care givers, they don't understand why they...
Restoring Proper Neurological Functions Amid The Rise Of Developmental Delays And Neurodevelopmental And Behavioral Issues
* The Rise Of The Anxiety And Aggression: In a recent workshop that I attended, Dr. Erica Basso of Precision Chiropractic, covered some very important topics regarding neurodevelopment and challenges such as ADHD, autism, sensory processing disorder, anxiety...
In Scratch, You Can Do Anything! Words Of An 8 Year Old About The Coding Platform Scratch
* Why play games when you can create? Ask your children that before you introduce them to Scratch, a coding and animation platform, that can unleash their imagination and creativity! *Scratch Coding and Game Design: Grades 2 - 7Beginner, Advanced...
Students And Lifelong Learners, Here’s How To Learn And Not Forget It In The Long-term
* Crossing The Barrier Of Learning: Many children might enter the classroom with a variety of learning barriers. Some children come hungry, some after facing a tough morning with their bickering parents and some without any supporting resources or caring adults...
Teaching STEM In Fun Ways To Today’s Students – Tips For Teachers
* Teachers Need To Keep Pace: Kids today grow up with technology integrated into their lives. This can cause challenges for educators trying to make science, technology, engineering, and math exciting instead of something mundane. Today’s tips from...
Parenting Advice For Adult Children On Essential Life Skills To Survive Adulthood
* Yes, Adult Children Also Need Our Advice: My sons are adults. They are wonderful, smart, successful adults and I adore them. They have their own lives and thankfully still include us in their lives. I do wonder sometimes, however, how much we should still be...
Are You Struggling With Self Confidence? Become Authentic And Stop Being A People Pleaser.
* Just how far will you abandon your authenticity to gain approval of others? Approval or authenticity. Where do you draw the line? * We can train as much and as long as we want, but unless we test it in real life, we are not turning our learning...
The Complete Resource Therapy Guide For Mental, Spiritual, Psychological Wellness
For Your Spiritual, Mental And Psychological Wellness Here Are Free Resources For Children, Teens, Adults And Parents * Health And Wellness Disclaimer: The health and wellness information provided on this website is not intended or...
Our Deep Connection To Nature And Its Influence On Us. Things We Must Learn From The Native Tribe Of Lakota.
* 1) When the heart went away from nature, it became hard. The lack of respect for nature’s softening influences soon led to lack of respect for humanity. 2 Knowledge was in all things. The world was a library and its books were the animals, the birds, the...
Most Valued Skills And People Challenges Of The Future Workspace According To OIGP Research Study
* 2018: OIGP Global Research Study: ➢ Which skills employees must have to be competitive today➢ The most significant people challenges currently facing organizations Over 1,000 global leaders from the 28 countries in which OIGP operates – almost double the...
Questions, just ask!
Text or Call: 678.310.5025 | Email: email@example.com
Bringing a Group? Email us for a special price!