Parenting For Two Worlds:
As parents we seem to have to have two jobs these days. One to Parent our children in the real world where real people with real emotions exist, and the other to prepare them for a world that exists only online and is constantly changing. That’s enough to overwhelm us to feel like we’ve little control over how things are going for us.
Add to that we are constantly battling through worry, doubt and anxiety of whether we’re doing a good job of this parenting thing. Because we get immense joy and delight also in equal supply, there are days we might be feeling we’re actually not winging this!
What Is Missing?
First, thanks to our personal devices, we’re living lonelier and more fragmented lives. What has happened to the concept of our collective potential?
Second, there is so much help all around in the form of physical sports activities and mathnasiums to help our children shine in schools. There are metrics that can tell us how their grades are and which skills he needs to be working on.
But, we need infrastructure in the area of developing our children’s emotional and social wellbeing. There is a great need for places where we can send our children to pick essential life skills like empathy, collaboration and resilience and personal management.
What Are The Implications?
As a result of this lack in social and emotional education, we’re seeing how children who are not taught the value of reading emotions. And they lack understanding empathy and the ability to collaborate are becoming leaders whose moral character and conduct is being called into question. We need to teach our boys how to treat girls like equals and we need to teach our girls how to stand up for themselves.
Moreover, machines that we’re building using our spectacular Science, Math and Engineering skills are dictating how we must think, feel and act. Remember, this was our unique value proposition as humans to begin with – our mind – that can help us think, feel and act and we’re allowing tech distractions to cloud over it.
What Can We Do?
In a world where super-intelligent machines built by us are dictating our emotions and predicting our desires, we must raise our children to deal with unpredictable change and information overload. With tools that develop mental flexibility and emotional balance, we can ensure that they learn to listen to themselves first. And use their power to choose with integrity and responsibility.
There is no question that our children are not just GPAs and for living a well rounded life, they need skills to manage their emotions, time and energies.
More than ever before, social and emotional learning in addition to academic learning is more relevant now in the digital age where distractions and addictions are just a click, swipe and a hashtag away.
What Are Life Skills?
Essential life skills teach children the value of confidence, collaboration, persistence, attentiveness, communication and resilience.
Both inside and outside of classrooms, the development of life skills helps children to:
- Improve Self Confidence and a Positive Outlook
- Promote Self Engagement and Self Motivation
- Prioritize Tasks Without Losing Momentum
- Recognize and Regulate Emotions
- Instill Gratitude and a Sense of Appreciation
- Learn to Listen First and Communicate with Confidence
- Develop Diligence, Integrity and a Personal Value System
- Manage Time, Stress and Relationships
- Cultivate Personal Accountability and Impact of their Actions
- Think Critically and Make Responsible Decisions
- Work Towards Mutual Understanding and Cooperation
- Inculcate Resilience and Learn New Ways to Problem Solve
Bottom Line: SEL Skills Are Essential.
As humans, we’re thrive on connection and find meaning in life through contribution. Our success in school and beyond depends on how we associate ourselves in the context of others.
There is no question that young children who are better at self control, taking others’ perspectives, resisting digital distractions, regulating their emotions and recognizing emotions in others fare better in their academic development, relationships and their careers. Read more here on the research.
Every day we don’t begin this journey of taking back control of parenting our children intentionally, we’re are losing precious time to teach our children life changing strategies.
* * *
About The Article Author:
Our mission with FutureSTRONG Academy – to grow children who respect themselves, their time and their capabilities in a world where distractions are just a click or a swipe away.
I see myself as an advocate for bringing social, emotional and character development to families, schools and communities. I never want to let this idea out of my sight – Our children are not just GPAs. I’m a Writer and a Certified Master Coach in NLP and CBT. Until 2017, I was also a Big Data Scientist. In December of 2044, I hope to win the Nobel. Namasté.
Write to me or call me. Tell me what support from me looks like.
Program Director & Essential Life Skills Coach for Kids and Busy Parents
The A to Z Of Life Skills
Check Out Our Featured Articles!
Teens, Technology And Life Skills To Thrive – A Handbook For Sustainability
* Teens, Tech and Life Skills: These days, little girls and boys are acting as therapists and counselors for their friends who’re struggling to navigate school. Teens are experiencing anxiety and panic attacks at an alarming rate. The American College Health...
Generation Z, Those Born Between 1995 & 2015, Has Entered The Workforce. Are They Ready For It?
* Times Are Changing: This is what we were hearing from companies in 2019 about their top 5 soft skills they needed the most. 1. Creativity2. Persuasion3. Collaboration4. Adaptability5. Time ManagementSource: LinkedIn, 2019 Times have changed post...
There Are Two Reasons Why Children And Teens Misbehave. Find Out Now.
* The Underlying Reasons: There are two primary reasons why children misbehave. 1. They want attention. They want to feel recognized and their existence valid. If they are not getting enough nurture or care from their care givers, they don't understand why they...
Restoring Proper Neurological Functions Amid The Rise Of Developmental Delays And Neurodevelopmental And Behavioral Issues
* The Rise Of The Anxiety And Aggression: In a recent workshop that I attended, Dr. Erica Basso of Precision Chiropractic, covered some very important topics regarding neurodevelopment and challenges such as ADHD, autism, sensory processing disorder, anxiety...
In Scratch, You Can Do Anything! Words Of An 8 Year Old About The Coding Platform Scratch
* Why play games when you can create? Ask your children that before you introduce them to Scratch, a coding and animation platform, that can unleash their imagination and creativity! *Scratch Coding and Game Design: Grades 2 - 7Beginner, Advanced...
Students And Lifelong Learners, Here’s How To Learn And Not Forget It In The Long-term
* Crossing The Barrier Of Learning: Many children might enter the classroom with a variety of learning barriers. Some children come hungry, some after facing a tough morning with their bickering parents and some without any supporting resources or caring adults...
Teaching STEM In Fun Ways To Today’s Students – Tips For Teachers
* Teachers Need To Keep Pace: Kids today grow up with technology integrated into their lives. This can cause challenges for educators trying to make science, technology, engineering, and math exciting instead of something mundane. Today’s tips from...
Parenting Advice For Adult Children On Essential Life Skills To Survive Adulthood
* Yes, Adult Children Also Need Our Advice: My sons are adults. They are wonderful, smart, successful adults and I adore them. They have their own lives and thankfully still include us in their lives. I do wonder sometimes, however, how much we should still be...
Are You Struggling With Self Confidence? Become Authentic And Stop Being A People Pleaser.
* Just how far will you abandon your authenticity to gain approval of others? Approval or authenticity. Where do you draw the line? * We can train as much and as long as we want, but unless we test it in real life, we are not turning our learning...
The Complete Resource Therapy Guide For Mental, Spiritual, Psychological Wellness
For Your Spiritual, Mental And Psychological Wellness Here Are Free Resources For Children, Teens, Adults And Parents * Health And Wellness Disclaimer: The health and wellness information provided on this website is not intended or...
Our Deep Connection To Nature And Its Influence On Us. Things We Must Learn From The Native Tribe Of Lakota.
* 1) When the heart went away from nature, it became hard. The lack of respect for nature’s softening influences soon led to lack of respect for humanity. 2 Knowledge was in all things. The world was a library and its books were the animals, the birds, the...
Most Valued Skills And People Challenges Of The Future Workspace According To OIGP Research Study
* 2018: OIGP Global Research Study: ➢ Which skills employees must have to be competitive today➢ The most significant people challenges currently facing organizations Over 1,000 global leaders from the 28 countries in which OIGP operates – almost double the...
Questions, just ask!
Text or Call: 678.310.5025 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Bringing a Group? Email us for a special price!