These days down time means screen time for most of us, adults and children. If screen time is a point of contention for your family, especially in the evenings after you gather back in the house after work and school, here are a few strategies that can help alleviate the problem.
Ask questions: Ask your children what interests them. Are there places and people they want to visit? Are there projects they would like to do offline?
Define rules: Remember you’re the boss. And you reserve the right to tech free times and zones in the house.
Take control: Tech is a choice. You cannot outsource to the big tech to take care of our problems, yes Big Tech companies are coming up with device time control strategies but change has to start in our homes.
Don’t give up: Making policy changes over night and dropping our device addictions cold turkey will not work. So, make habit changes gradually, that way they have long lasting effects.
Become aware: Do your research about what all can be done to fight excessive screen time, whether on phones or gaming consoles. Did you know that many video game consoles have screen time limits that you can set?
Show alternatives: Kids can be taught that there are alternatives to an online life that they haven’t thought of. Show them the spirit of board games, power of sharing ideas and socializing in person by hosting a picnic or a dinner party.
Model good behavior: Agree or not, kids are a product of our influences on them. They watch our every move and make their own conclusions. They see us dealing with our free time in one way or another and they emulate.
Boring is good: Learn and teach the power of boredom. A few silent minutes each day for reflecting on our actions and activities helps us connect dots and understand patterns in our behavior. Its a proven way to enhance creation and innovation in ourselves.
Create not consume: When children are on their screens, ask them if they want to create content that excites them rather than consume everything they come across passively. It can be a great way to show their talent and pursue their interests.
Question the need: Ask children what is driving them to their devices. Teach them the power of doing something meaningful with resources like time and energy. They will listen. Maybe not the first time, but eventually they will.
Take them out: For the first time, maybe in a few years, step into a physical library and show them the space that’s been a defining one in the lives of so many successful leaders.
Get help with chores: Ask children to help around the house. Ask them to take the dog for a walk because that’s one way they can contribute towards family responsibilities. For fun, teach them some cooking skills by showing them how to make their favorite dish.
By teaching children time is not just there to kill but to be spent well, we can create an awareness mindset in them to use their devices and their time intentionally.
* * *
About The Article Author:
Our mission with FutureSTRONG Academy – to grow children who respect themselves, their time and their capabilities in a world where distractions are just a click or a swipe away.
I see myself as an advocate for bringing social, emotional and character development to families, schools and communities. I never want to let this idea out of my sight – Our children are not just GPAs. I’m a Writer and a Certified Master Coach in NLP and CBT. Until 2017, I was also a Big Data Scientist. In December of 2044, I hope to win the Nobel. Namasté.
Write to me or call me. Tell me what support from me looks like.
Program Director & Essential Life Skills Coach for Kids and Busy Parents
Parenting For a Digital Future
Check Out Our Latest In Mindful Parenting!
7 Action Packed Steps To Prepare For Entrepreneurship
* A Path For Successful Entrepreneurship: For many, entrepreneurship is an exciting adventure that can be quite rewarding. But if you’re serious about launching your own business, there are a few essential steps that must be taken to set yourself up for...
The Journey Of Our Life Can Be One That’s Filled With A Purpose. Here’s How To Find It.
* Grounds To Thrive: I keep looking around at those who are on their way to understanding their calling and their true potential in life. It is easy to understand that the pursuit of self-actualization is not possible without the basics in life - safety and...
There Are Two Reasons Why Children And Teens Misbehave. Find Out Now.
* The Underlying Reasons: There are two primary reasons why children misbehave. 1. They want attention. They want to feel recognized and their existence valid. If they are not getting enough nurture or care from their care givers, they don't understand why they...
Are Teenagers Really Narcissistic? Let’s Find Out.
* Teens Or Self Absorbed Hedonists? Teenagers are the most adaptive and private members of any age group. They quickly create and break friendships, join fashions, and demonstrate fierce allegiance to any political or popular ideology. Teenagers adore their...
The Dangers Of Comparison Traps And Helping Our Teens Lower Their Unrealistic Standards
* Choices Vs. Decisions: Usually, the main reason why we don’t like to make a choice quickly is because we fear missing out on the best option available or regretting our choice we make now. Also, how can we choose when we might need everything that is being...
The Complete Resource Guide To Rehab And Recovery For All Kinds Of Addictions
Addiction Rehab And Recovery For Teens, Adults And ParentsQuestions, just ask! Text or Call: 678.310.5025 | Email: email@example.com Bringing a Group? Email us for a special price!
Aiming For Perfection Takes Us Away From The Now. Learn To Enjoy What Is.
* What Is Perfectionism: Perfectionism is the belief that if we live perfect, look perfect, and act perfect, we can minimize or avoid the pain of blame, judgment and shame. Perfectionism, in psychology, is a personality trait characterized by a person's...
Don’t Give Them Answers. Instead, Ask Powerful Questions To Coach And Lead Your Children.
* Don't Ask Closed Questions: Here are a few questions that require no elaboration. These kind of questions are called Closed questions. Closed questions are usually easy to answer as the choice of answer is typically a yes or no. And we all know that powerful...
How To Help Children Who Are Perfectionists?
* Tell your child they are loved because of who they are not because of who they can become. Encourage them to worry less and try better next time. Explain to them that excellence is a moving goal post and one must a. Inculcate a growth mindsetb. Find...
More Than Violence And Hunger, This Is What Hurts Children Emotionally
* The Still Face Experiment: Years ago, there was an experiment that was conducted by an American Developmental Psychologist named Edward Tronik called the Still Face experiment. Children as young as 1 year old are put in front of their mother who suddenly in...
Students Come With A Lot Of Learning Barriers. Greeting Them At The Door Helps.
* Priming For A Day Of Learning: Many children might enter the classroom with a variety of learning barriers. Some children come hungry, some after facing a tough morning with their bickering parents and some without any supporting resources or caring adults...
A Comprehensive List Of Social, Criminal, Physical and Mental Disorders Due To Tech Addiction
* There are 4 major repercussions of over use of technology. 1. Increase in anxiety.2. Decrease in our ability to attend and focus for extended periods of time.3. Boredom.4. New found ability to be unable to talk to anyone face to face. ~ Dr. Larry Rosen,...
How To Find Optimal Wellness Through Consistent Self-Improvement
* Not Surviving But Thriving: We all want to be our best selves. But how do we get there? It starts with small changes that can make a big difference. Here are some tips for finding optimal wellness through self-improvement. This listicle will sure fire charge...
Strategies and Apps to Help Your Child Master Their Homework Every Time
* Homework Does Have To Be A Chore: As parents, we want our children to be successful and responsible human beings, and we recognize that we must do our part to help them along that path. One area that can be trying for many is getting kids to do their...
A Guide to Addiction and Recovery for African Americans – How Different Cultures Cope
* * * Please call and talk to someone. You ARE precious. * American National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (NSPL): Suicide is the second leading cause of death for young people between 10 to 24. If you're anyone contemplating suicide, please know...
Restoring Proper Neurological Functions Amid The Rise Of Developmental Delays And Neurodevelopmental And Behavioral Issues
* The Rise Of The Anxiety And Aggression: In a recent workshop that I attended, Dr. Erica Basso of Precision Chiropractic, covered some very important topics regarding neurodevelopment and challenges such as ADHD, autism, sensory processing disorder, anxiety...
The Tools Of The Future Are Here – Explore The Generative AI Landscape
Open Your Mind, Grow Your Brain! Hey everyone welcome!Here are some FREE (most of them!) resources that will help you level up in your PERSONAL and PROFESSIONAL life! Build Your Potential. BECOME UNSTOPPABLE!* * * Generative AI Tools: There's not one day that goes by...
The Rule Of The Third – Help Yourself & Others To Progress Instead Of Being Stuck In Perfection
* https://youtu.be/BRJeK9Gkbqw * Want To Listen To The Article Instead? * What Is The Rule Of The Thirds? We all feel this way, one third of our lives, we are feeling great, one third of it, not so much content about how things are,...
Questions, just ask!
Text or Call: 678.310.5025 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Bringing a Group? Email us for a special price!