How did we come to this? Our children perpetrate violence and we watch in stunned silence.
Yesterday at 2pm, there was a mass school shooting committed by a child against other children of a South Florida high school he had attended in the past. This is my life this morning in the aftermath.
My friend emailed me about a friend who lost her son to the same shooting. Over breakfast, my son told me about his unsettling fears on the issue of safety at his school. And I wrote to my son’s principal because I had assured my son that I would do something about his fears. I also wrote to our local police officer seeking help for our children’s wellbeing.
Here are the prayers to the parents of the children killed on Ash Wednesday. Here are the prayers to the parents who lost their child on Valentine’s day.
Hug Your Children
Email Subject: Hug Your Children
[My friend’s name redacted]
7:03 AM (38 minutes ago)
Hug your children this morning. Hug them every chance you get.
We moved here from Parkland; Marjorie Stoneman Douglas High School is the school my oldest daughter attended in south Florida. One of my dear friends likely lost her son yesterday. When I went to bed late last night they were still awaiting official word, but had been unable to locate him at area hospitals and hadn’t heard from him. What a nightmare.
What’s it going to take for our country to wake up and get rid of weapons like the one this shooter used?
All I can think of this morning is that in a few minutes I’m going to have to drop my daughter off at school and try to believe that she will be safe there.
So. I’m going to hug her and tell her how much I love her.
Reply from: Rachana Nadella-Somayajula [email redacted]
7:39 AM (2 minutes ago)
I’m so sorry [My friend’s name redacted]. If its not annihilation after the death of a child, I don’t know what it is.
“IT’S NEVER GOING TO BE OK” ~ This is what I wrote in my journal in caps yesterday night when my son told the news (one reason I’ve stopped reading news at all, no Skimm, no CNN, nothing)
Please keep us posted on your friend when you know more.
Thank you for your email, even if you don’t see it, it gives hope.
Reply from: [My friend’s name redacted]
8:19 AM (48 minutes ago)
Thanks, Rachana. I got word this morning that our friends were notified around 3 am that Luke did not survive. Praying for the Hoyers and all of the families affected.
Unsettling lunch break fears:
Email Subject: Unsettling lunch break fears
Hello [Principal’s name redacted]
I’m Rachana, the mother of Ky Somayajula from 7th grade. This morning, my son and I were talking about the difficult topic of school shootings and safety on campus.
And I assured him that there’s so much good in the world but it all doesn’t make it into news. He seems to understand but also told me that there are two ways the lunch crowd is dismissed from the cafeteria. And if you’re sitting in the back of the cafeteria, you leave from the back door which is out in the open which doesn’t feel safe at all. And if you sit in the front of the cafeteria, you leave to your classrooms from the inside which is “very safe”. (His words)
He also said, our officer only has one taser, one baton and one hand gun with one magazine. (Not sure how he has heard this info.)
Can you please conduct a workshop or seminar to quell the fears of the kids because they seem to want to be ensured that their school is a safe place.
Thank you so much, as Ky’s parents, its very very reassuring for us to send him to a place like [redacted] for his education.
We’re very grateful.
Active Shooter Scenario Training:
Email Subject: Active Shooter Scenario Training:
Good morning Officer [redacted],
Hope you’re well. I was looking forward to your training session on “Active Shooter Scenario” next Monday, so that I can write an informational essay on it and put it up on my blog.
As sad as it sounds, there’s a greater need now to equip our children with this kind of awareness and education, so they won’t fall victims to violence.
Looking forward to being a part of the rescheduled session.
Thank you for everything you do.
Thank you for putting your life on the line.
* * *
About The Article Author:
Our mission with FutureSTRONG Academy – to grow children who respect themselves, their time and their capabilities in a world where distractions are just a click or a swipe away.
I see myself as an advocate for bringing social, emotional and character development to families, schools and communities. I never want to let this idea out of my sight – Our children are not just GPAs. I’m a Writer and a Certified Master Coach in NLP and CBT. Until 2017, I was also a Big Data Scientist. In December of 2044, I hope to win the Nobel. Namasté.
Write to me or call me. Tell me what support from me looks like.
Program Director & Essential Life Skills Coach for Kids and Busy Parents
For Your Spiritual, Mental And Psychological Wellness
Here Are Free Resources For Children, Teens, Adults And Parents
Digital Citizenship: What It Is, How To Learn It, And The Resources You Need
* Technological Literacy or Digital Citizenship is the wealth of knowledge that we all need in order to be good citizens of the digital age. We all have a playbook for how to live in the real world, and digital citizenship guidelines allow us to understand the...
14 Powerful Quotes From The Book, The Big Disconnect – Sustainable Family For The Digital Age
* Quotable Quotes From The Big Disconnect: Excerpts From the book, The Big Disconnect: Protecting Childhood and Family Relationships in the Digital Age By Catherine Steiner-Adair EdD. It's a powerful reminder to understand how to protect childhood and family...
What Are Brain Breaks And Why Does Everyone Need Them?
* Brain breaks or mental speed bumps are focused attention activities that give brains a break from intense mentally challenging lessons children are expected to learn every day. They are good for us adults too because so much is expected out of us each day....
Why Fear Death When It Can Be The Biggest Motivator Of All
* Our Relationship With Immortality: People who don’t know what to do on a lazy Sunday afternoon want to live forever. That’s the lure of immortality. All throughout our lives, we strive for wealth, fame, knowledge and happiness. We also long for immortality...
A To Z About Tech Behavioral Disorders, Managing Addictions, And Their Impact On Relationships And Productivity
* Our digital landscape is changing day after day. And here are some urgent burning questions along with their answers. Please click below to learn more. 1) Why is Technology Addiction or Digital Addiction a problem at all? Can’t I have my hobby or interest? 2)...
A Whole Family Digital Health Reset Is Just A Few Action Steps Away
* Signs of Parental Anguish: Children and adults are using screens as a coping mechanism. There's a lot of technoference in our lives and we are having to combat it constantly. This is our new normal from the past decade in familial and professional settings....
These Studies Show The Dangerous Effects Of Distracted Parents On Children’s Wellbeing
* Hyper-Connected Parents; Dis Connected Progeny: Our children are addicted and so are we, that's the tragic situation of our world in the digital disruption age. We would rather be somewhere else rather than in the present moment, atleast that's what our...
4 Wellness Essentials for Parents and Caregivers
* Child Care Doesn't Have To Be Stressful: Being a parent or caregiver can be an incredibly rewarding role, but there’s no denying that it isn’t an easy one. According to a new poll by the Pew Research Center, about four in ten parents (41%) in the US say...
Here’s How To Preserve A Keen Sense Of Wellbeing On A Daily Basis
* Let’s Define Wellbeing: As humans, we’re driven by this singular goal. What do you want in life? Ask anyone and surely most times it will be a “I just want to be happy!” So, let’s see how our happiness is determined by how we feel about ourselves on a daily...
How Positive Action Can Curb The Epidemic Of Gun Violence And Mass Shootings
Ahimsa - The Principle Of Non Violence Gun Safety Laws To Curb Mass Shootings “We can choose to be hopeful, try and possibly fail or not be hopeful, give up and definitely fail.”— David Hogg, cofounder and board member at March For Our LivesQuestions, just...
Sometimes, The Punishment Doesn’t Have To Fit The Crime. It’s Time To Forgive Not Forget.
* As humans, we are naturally predisposed to being loving and compassionate. In this context, forgiveness is our path to being free. Don't believe me? Please, allow me to explain. Only when we experience evil, can we shine a light on our capacity to forgive....
Run, Hide Or Fight. Is That What Our Sweet America Has Come Down To?
* Our Nation Right Now: As I shopped at our local hardware store this morning, I was vary of fellow shoppers around me. I was watchful of the cars that were coming and going as I crossed the street from my parked car. There's something on my mind right now....
Questions, just ask!
Text or Call: 678.310.5025 | Email: email@example.com
Bringing a Group? Email us for a special price!