Charles F. Kettering quoted once, “High achievement always takes place in the framework of high expectation.”
Ask your children every morning, “What do you hope to aim for today? What new things do you plan to learn and try today?”
The Nature Of Change:
I recently read this quote to my 13 year old by a former VP of Facebook, Chamath Palihapitiya, “I think we have created tools that are ripping apart the social fabric of how society works. The short-term, dopamine-driven feedback loops we’ve created are destroying how society works. No civil discourse, no cooperation; misinformation, mis-truth. And it’s not an American problem — this is not about Russians ads. This is a global problem.”
Instead of understanding the message that I was intending to send about the harmful affects of social media, my son asked me, “Mom, why wouldn’t anyone want to stay VP of Facebook?”
That made me wonder. “Yes, why wouldn’t anyone want to stay VP of Facebook?” “What is the nature of change?” This is what I found after reading about change.
Ways Change Comes Into Our Lives:
- You’re simply not OK with status quo and you want out.
- You’ve redefined what success means to you.
- Your sense of personal fulfillment has changed.
- Your ideas of making an impact have evolved.
- The reality of your circumstances have changed. Ex: You became a father.
- Your priorities have changed.
- Your short term goals and your long term aspirations have changed.
- New opportunities have opened up that give you a chance for larger impact.
- You’ve new insights as you grow yourself each day and want to put them into use.
- You’ve acquired new skills that want to be put into use.
- Your current job feels irrelevant to your new personal ambitions.
Things That Are Out Of Our Control:
- Unforeseen adversity at work or sudden personal health crisis.
- The ecosystem that you’re part of as a team member is changing, leaving you with no choice but to seek out other opportunities.
- The company you work for has adopted a new vision that doesn’t match your personal philosophy.
People even at the highest offices of government after a certain time have to leave office to retire. In 2016, Obama stepped down to make way for Trump. Some day, it’ll be Trump’s turn. That’s one of the fabrics of the Democratic society we live in.
Whichever way you want to look at it, every change brings with it an opportunity. If the change is favorable to our expectations, it brings abundance and prosperity. If the change is adversity, it brings an opportunity to learn a lesson.
Personal Growth Factor:
Irrespective of what the reason for change, one thing is certain. We seek change when we’re no longer fulfilled with status quo. We seek change when our ecosystem feels irrelevant to our burgeoning desires. We seek change when we ask ourselves a very important question. “Is my personal growth factor on an upward incline? Or has it plateaued?”
I’ve lived as a struggling writer for one year now. Last year, I began asking myself, “Do I passively move up the ladder when opportunity knocks? Or should I do what I love and create opportunity?”
It was time for my change, because my personal reality had changed. I have found out that through my writing I had something unique and of value to give to the world.
So, I left a great job with a 6 figure salary as a Big data scientist. Along with it, I said goodbye to a 13 year career in the Information technology field.
And, I became a story teller.
Adaptability In Our Instincts:
Change encourages adaptability, our most important survival instinct. At the end of every evening, follow up with your children by sharing what you’ve learnt and what you’ve failed at that day. It can be any problem, at work or life, that you’re trying to find a solution to. Ask them, “What has been your personal growth factor like today?”
Learn the lesson of a lifetime in 10 minutes: Make an Impact by Rick Rigsby
* * *
About The Article Author:
I see myself as an advocate for bringing social, emotional and character development to families, schools and communities. I never want to let this idea out of my sight – Our children are not just GPAs. I’m a Writer and a Certified Master Coach in NLP and CBT. Until 2017, I was also a Big Data Scientist. In December of 2044, I hope to win the Nobel. Namasté.
Write to me or call me. Tell me what support from me looks like.
Program Director & Essential Life Skills Coach for Kids and Busy Parents
The Ultimate Guide To Personal And Professional Goal Setting
And How To Do It Well
* Stage 1 Developing Awareness. The motivation for change begins with a sense that we aren't fulfilling our full potential in at least one area of our life. * Stage 2 Discovery. The discovery stage is where your conscious mind has located the...
* What Is Positive Mental Health? When we're talking about mental health, we must go beyond psychopathology. Psychopathology is mental illness. How to check for positive mental health? Answering the question once in a while if "I'm doing everything I can in my...
* Part II: Continued from PART II HERE. * Signs Of Mental Health Issues: For some anxiety can be the "force that's pushing me about everything that's wrong." Then there's the sexual assault horrors that we are made aware of. "My ex boyfriend...
* Part I: Continued from PART I HERE. * Kids And Teens Speak Up: Kids and adolescents deal with mental health challenges differently. Kids want to isolate, and not tell anyone. Because in their little brains, things can be confusing and if...
* Sierra Nevada As A Witness: On the lookout point called Mirador de San Nicolás, I stood on the side waiting for someone to click a picture of our family. Our backdrop would be the Alhambra (one of the most famous monuments of Islamic architecture located in...
* An Antidote To Loneliness: We've all been there, we're in a relationship that sucks the life out of us. But, we somehow have to endure for the sake of keeping peace within the family or the workplace. And that's how life is - a combination of low quality and...
* The Epilogue: How Personal Identity Is Formed After A Lifetime Of Complying For Othershttps://youtu.be/KhzCZh-LgO0 * Want To Listen To The Article Instead? * The Prologue: Resolve Identity Crisis At Any Age And Make Peace With Your...
* Here's an amusing fact about our lives. The intent behind every act of ours is either in anticipation of permanent relief or temporary alleviation of some sorrow. It's funny, isn't it? At a personal level when something or someone is giving us grief, it's...
* Our True Aspirations: If I ask you what you want in life, you might say, recognition, a handsome income, and a comfortable life. But, what about the most important reason why any of the things we want in life matter? Our personal freedom. Don't believe me?...
* As teachers and coaches, we all find ourselves in a situation where we must engage and connect with the kids in our care. Here are a few questions that will help as icebreakers when we need to get to know others. 1. In your opinion, what animal is the...
* Peace Or Possessions? As we age, we increasingly understand what truly matters in life. Not material wealth, not expensive jackets, not even real estate property that we carefully and deliberately acquired. As such, it is also increasingly difficult to let go...
* As a parent advocate trying to bring social, emotional and character development to families, schools and communities, it’s so exciting for me to see what Fulton County is doing with 7 mindsets, Gwinnett with its 7 Habits of Successful Teens and Barrow county...
Questions, just ask!
Text or Call: 678.310.5025 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Bringing a Group? Email us for a special price!