What the shit?
If you thought the YouTube comments section is a septic tank, you’re in for a surprise. There’s a hog farm in North Carolina, where animal waste including aborted piglets from pregnant pigs falls through slits in the floor. The shit that’s collected like this on the floor is then flushed into a giant open air holding pond which creates a cesspool of untreated animal waste.
Animal Waste Lagoons:
Once in a while when the lagoon starts to fill up, the operators of the farm have to empty it out. And, because this farm has no waste-treatment system like how cities have for their human waste counterpart, its contents are liquefied and using gigantic hoses are sprayed into the air.
This mist of urine and feces is picked up by the wind and travels to the homes of nearby communities. The smell in the air is so horrific, people don’t step outdoors for extended periods of time when they “get wind” that these garden hose operations are underway. Talk about your neighbor’s shit being contaminated.
Because the contents of the pool seep into the ground, they affect the drinking water system. Because they mix in with the air, people in homes surrounding these farms experience respiratory problem, physical issues and mental issues like depression and aggression. Neighbors routinely die of cancer, and no one knows why.
Now, multiply this one farm by the 1000’s and imagine them as factory farms, America’s biggest secret – CAFOs. According to Wikipedia, a CAFO is a concentrated animal feeding operation which is an animal feeding farm in which more than 1000 animals are raised in confinement for over 45 days a year.
“It can, I think very correctly, be called ‘environmental racism’ or ‘environmental injustice’ that low-income people, people of color, bear the brunt of these practices.” ~ Steve Wing, Ph.D., associate professor of epidemiology, University of North Carolina Gillings School of Global Public Health
Hundreds of millions of chickens are improperly slaughtered each year resulting in fecal contamination of their bodies. On the production line, the chickens are hung upside down by their feet in shackles along a long winding conveyor belt, before being stunned into unconsciousness. They pass along sharp blades strategically placed to cut their jugular veins before they are moved methodically above machines that remove their feathers, heads, feet and finally the internal organs.
“High-speed machines commonly rip open intestines, releasing feces into the birds’ body cavities. Once upon a time, USDA inspectors had to condemn any bird with such fecal contamination. But about thirty years ago, the poultry industry convinced the USDA to reclassify feces so that it could continue to use these automatic eviscerators. Once a dangerous contaminant, feces are now classified as a “cosmetic blemish.” ~ Jonathan Safran Foer, Eating Animals
An animal farming nightmare:
Its time to become vigilant to the horrifying practices of raising animals by the meat producing companies. CAFOs are mostly only operated in neighborhoods of low income and people of color. “The lagoons are healthy if they’re bright pink in color.” This is what meat producers tell their share holders and anyone who’s willing to listen.
How can we fight terror outside of America, when we’ve our hands full fighting environmental racism? How can we fight for others’ human rights when our own right to live is being threatened in the safety of our own country?
Want to know how we got here? And how this madness is spreading to other countries in Eastern Europe, South America and Asia. Read about Factory Farming, an indigenous invention of the industrialized countries. A practice United Nations calls the “intensification of animal production was seen as a way of providing food security.”
The Environmental Working Group has a map of every home in North Carolina that’s located near a CAFO or a swine waste holding pond. Check it out here.
* * *
About The Article Author:
I see myself as an advocate for bringing social, emotional and character development to families, schools and communities. I never want to let this idea out of my sight – Our children are not just GPAs. I’m a Writer and a Certified Master Coach in NLP and CBT. Until 2017, I was also a Big Data Scientist. In December of 2044, I hope to win the Nobel. Namasté.
Write to me or call me. Tell me what support from me looks like.
Program Director & Essential Life Skills Coach for Kids and Busy Parents
For Your Spiritual, Mental And Psychological Wellness
Here Are Free Resources For Children, Teens, Adults And Parents
* Continued From Part II: Check it out HERE. * For Many Tiktok Needs No Introduction: In this attention economy, there's no bigger lure for children, teens and adults like Tiktok. It's an app that promises to showcase your creativity serving it up...
* Continued From Part I: Check it out HERE. * Discovering On Snapchat: Yes, we are in the digital age, and kids will have to find ways for social integration online. Yes, it is inevitable. But, one of the most useless apps on the planet can be...
Part I: Part II: Part III: Part IV: For Your Spiritual, Mental And Psychological Wellness Here Are Free Resources For Children, Teens, Adults And ParentsQuestions, just ask! Text or Call: 678.310.5025 | Email: email@example.com Bringing a Group?...
* Busyness Is Not Productivity: The internet has no ending, so is it a battle we won't win? Not necessarily. We just have to be intentional and vigilant about our use of our devices and time. There is always new information whenever we get onto the internet....
* Sea oats are tall grass, sometimes reaching 8 feet high, with golden yellow seed heads or oats at their tips. They help form dunes that create a natural land barrier for any water line. As sand accumulates, sea oats continue to grow over these piles of sands...
The Ultimate Do’s And Don’ts Of Your Daily Speed And Efficiency – A Blue Print Of Productivity That Works
* DON'TS: There are many things we must not be doing in addition to be doing if we want to be productive in our daily lives. Here are a few things that we can add to our "Do not do" list 😉 Don't pretend like you've got everything under control especially when...
It's the middle of September in Atlanta, and you're watching more than 3000 people running shoulder to shoulder on a long winding road. Everyone is wearing a running bib indicating their number and their commitment to the cause. You're on the sidelines as a...
* Touch improves everything and can relieve us from a lot of miseries. It’s a physical need like sleep, exercise, and relationships and has the following benefits: • Touch strengthens our immune system significantly, while a lack thereof weakens it...
Questions, just ask!
Text or Call: 678.310.5025 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Bringing a Group? Email us for a special price!