Why my brain only holds a few of my childhood memories so vividly is beyond me, but one of them just came back this morning, as I walked, held my Kindergartener’s hands and went along with him, floating as if in a bubble, as snapshots of past, dreams of the future, all danced in front my eyes, crammed in those three minutes it took us to walk from home to his new school!
I was kicking and screaming in my daddy’s arms, while my mother and sister looked helplessly from the door steps next to the gate that enclosed our home in my home town.. I must have been 5 or 6, but I was refusing to go to school.. Getting packed in the rickshaw, with a bag and a lunch box in hand, I was going to be away from the comfort of my mother’s voice and the rattle of my toy friends for only a little while, for what felt like forever on that day..
As I walked on into the school building doors, I was flipping out inside that I should have some memento, some way of keeping this memory of my son’s first day in school alive… The thought did seem retro, but I still had to take a picture of him, his backpack on his shoulders, his lunch in his hands, you know, the works.. If I would have made an attempt to defy convention, I was risking at getting embarrassed for not treasuring a picture proof for those later-in-life moments.. , while all along carrying in my pocket, a six month old piece of 21st century marvel, the Iphone.
Surprisingly, I did not jerk a tear or let out a melodramatic wail while leaving him in a brand new setting, a new teacher, no daddy to listen to his chit-chat, or mommy to feed him… In fact, I was excited and squeezed his dad’s wrist a little while stepping out of the class room.. !!
The early morning pledge in the assembly line, the chalk and board, my navy blue uniform, the bell signalling the end of a class – the school that I attended more than a couple of decades ago might not be a match to this school, its programs, the library, the computers, and let’s throw in a hyperbolic football jersey in there.. – But it felt great, to just walk to school, just like in the old days..
Acting as a gentle critic to my writings is my mother, a writer, who tells me that in order to have a broader audience base, the content that I choose to pen down should resonate with people from all backgrounds, irrespective of their culture, their upbringing and their lifestyles. And in the classroom today, I saw precisely what every mother and father saw.. A foundation for our child’s creative licenses, whether he chooses to be a painter, an astronaut, a football player, a writer or even a dreamer like me..
With all the love in the world!!
Your Old School Momma
“Consistency is the last resort of the unimaginative.” – Oscar Wilde
* * *
About The Article Author:
Our mission with FutureSTRONG Academy – to grow children who respect themselves, their time and their capabilities in a world where distractions are just a click or a swipe away.
I see myself as an advocate for bringing social, emotional and character development to families, schools and communities. I never want to let this idea out of my sight – Our children are not just GPAs. I’m a Writer and a Certified Master Coach in NLP and CBT. Until 2017, I was also a Big Data Scientist. In December of 2044, I hope to win the Nobel. Namasté.
Write to me or call me. Tell me what support from me looks like.
Program Director & Essential Life Skills Coach for Kids and Busy Parents
The Indian American Life
Love Made Me Do It
* As you slip and fall, my thoughts are along with you atop the death train – la bestia. A smiling young man you were, one second ago,the next – a limp body in the overgrown unworn path.A heatstroke at 16 has sent you home sooner than you wished for. But is any...
Sandeepany Sadhanalaya – Swami Chinmayananda Ashram In Powai, Mumbai
* * * * About Sanatana DharmaQuestions, just ask! Text or Call: 678.310.5025 | Email: email@example.com Bringing a Group? Email us for a special price!
Every Goal We Set Begins With The Clarity Of Intention. Here’s How To Achieve It.
* The Yogic Guide To Goal Setting: Kalpana and Vikalpa are two words that are derived from the word Kalpa that means imaginative creation. Vikalpa refers to our imagination or fantasy. It is daydreaming, or thinking of things that don't exist. Another word...
Raghava Krishna | Bṛhat बृहत् | A Yogic Perspective On What It Takes To Be A Modern Renaissance Man
* Refine Your Instrument Workshop: * Timestamp Of Questions: TBD * * * About Sanatana DharmaQuestions, just ask! Text or Call: 678.310.5025 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Bringing a Group? Email us for a special price!
Ugadi | Gudi Padwa – A 9 Day Spring Festival Of The Hindu Lunar New Year
* Shobhakruthu Naama Samvatsaram: 2023: According to the Hindu Calendar, Ugadi falls on the first day of the Chaitra month. Yugadi means the beginning of new age. The day also marks the beginning of spring season, which is considered to be the first of all...
The Story Of Mahabharata As A Metaphor To Human Life And Philosophy
* It is said in the texts that 80% of the fighting male population of the civilization was wiped out in the eighteen days Mahabharata war. Sanjay, at the end of the war went to the spot where the greatest war took place; Kurukshetra. He looked around and...
Thoughts Of Eastern Philosophers And Thoughts Leaders On Advaita Vedanta And Hinduism
* All this is Brahman. Everything comes from Brahman, everything goes back to Brahman, and everything is sustained by Brahman. ~ Chandogya Upanishad * Thoughts On Hinduism: The really poor man is not the one who lacks money, but he who lacks the joy...
Books And Studies For Understanding Modern India And Its Vedic History
* Books By Indian Authors: Breaking India By Rajiv Malhotra & Aravindan Neelakandan Snakes in the Ganga: Breaking India 2.0 By Rajiv Malhotra & Vijaya Viswanathan India, that is Bharat: Coloniality, Civilization, Constitution By J. Sai Deepak Urban...
Naivedyam Or Prasad: Will God Eat Our Offerings? Lord Krishna Explains.
* What Is Prasad? Before eating, a lot of Hindus, offer the food first to God before they consume it. But the question is, will God come and eat our offerings? An attempt is made here to understand the predicament. What follows below is a Guru-Shishya...
Know Your Scriptures – A Modern Take On Ancient Wisdom By Ami Ganatra
* Know Your Scriptures Workshop: * Timestamp Of Questions: 3:04 - QUESTION 1: Bad things happen to good people and good things happen to bad people. What convincing arguments do we find in our scriptures that guide us to follow the path of dharma...
Makar Sankranti – The Festival Of Decluttering, Brotherhood And Leading With The Light Of The Heart
* Significance Of Makar Sankranti: The auspicious day of Makara Sankranti is the day dedicated to worship the Sun - whose light nourishes and sustains all life on this planet. Sankranti means Passage in Sanskrit. Sankranti comes every month of the solar year...
How To Make Your Heart Pure – As Explained To 10 Year Olds In Satsang (Spiritual Discourse)
* 1. Obeying the rules of life.2. Preforming one's duties.3. Seeing work as workship.4. Chanting lord's name again and again.5. Trusting God as trusted and beloved to all.6. Seeing the blessings of Lord in everything.7. Love God as much as you love yourself....
Questions, just ask!
Text or Call: 678.310.5025 | Email: email@example.com
Bringing a Group? Email us for a special price!
I tweeted a link to your post, if you’re ever on Twitter, check me it out, my user name is TonyVote.
I really loved this post. It brought back so many memories. As far as taking a picture of your little one on his first day of school, don’t be silly, that was the best thing you could have ever done for him, and yourself. Just think, you’ll have that picture not only on photo paper, but you’ll remember that moment in your head as well, for eternity. I can’t wait to have kids, simply for this fact. All of the sentimental “firsts”. I’m sure you’ll be a great parent.
Thanks so much for your review! This Twitter thing is turning out to be an enigma, I might as well check it out one of these days!! And thanks for defending my thoughts on the picture.. I feel a little awful sometimes, wondering if I am not enjoying the moment, but just busy taking pictures.. :))
This makes it all better!